SOLD/EXPIRED Hellsbay waterman 60 etec

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by Capt. Eli Whidden, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Capt. Eli Whidden

Capt. Eli Whidden Sight Fishing South Florida

Not mine. 

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001-Hells-Bay-Boat-Works-Inc-Waterman-606887

2. erussell

erussell I Love microskiff.com!

This boat was for sale on Craigslist on Jan 24th for 13k. I just missed it. Whether this guy bought it and is reselling for a profit, or found out he could get way more money for it and took the CL listing down and posted it on Boat Trader, it was pretty heart-breaking to say the least!

3. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

Man o' man...why would anyone cover ALL the surfaces with SeaDek?

Looks pretty stupid in my opinion......not that it matters.

4. Capt. Eli Whidden

Absolutely!

5. rsm13

rsm13 Well-Known Member

This boat and it's provenance were discussed before in another thread, before it's <Ahem..cough> makeover?

6. firefish

firefish I Love microskiff.com!

SOOOO whats the skinny????????spoke to him and he doesn't represent it as a makeover ,,,,,Sounds like it got a used car fixup!!!!

7. firefish

firefish I Love microskiff.com!

And yes !!!Whole boat n seadek,,,,,,, BLAHHHH!!! Is that stuff come off without damage?

8. Barbs_deep

Barbs_deep I Love microskiff.com!

What's up with all the access hatches everywhere on it ? The rigging looks pretty suspect too.

9. Capt. Eli Whidden

Appears to be a tiller converted to side console. Tower is obviously different too.

10. Snookdaddy

Snookdaddy Well-Known Member

I know the story on the boat and I inspected the boat last August for a friend that was in the market for a HB.

We passed on that hull for a lot of reasons.

Let's just say there are a lot of skeletons under the hatches. I wish I wouldn't have deleted the pictures I took of the boat. It was telling....

Here's a brief of my findings:

1) Bow Eye had been ripped out of the skiff, then repaired. This is the reason for the "check plate" on the bow.
    2) Boat had been partially submerged and there was wet "beach sand" around the fuel tank and back hatches.
    3) Wiring was like a rats nest and corroded.
    4) Starboard trim tab completely ripped out of the hull.
    5) Starboard hatch was missing (ripped off the hinges). The guy had Tom Gordon fab a new hatch.
    6) Trailer missing fenders.
    7) Trailer axle was painted in red primer.
    8) Switches and gauges were missing from the console.
    9) Heavy mold and mildew under front deck.
    10) Deck was in bad shape and needed to be sanded and awl-gripped. ( This is why the whole topside of the skiff is Sea-Dek'd).

Personally, I wouldn't touch this boat, but some guy with a woody for a HB will probably buy it, not realizing the mess it was in. I'd be really worried about having to replace the gas tank in the very near future, because of all the salt laden sand laying around the tak for a couple of years. An expensive fix!

PM me your phone number if you need more detailed info on my initial findings.

With that being said, Castaway Customs probably did all the work on the boat and Tyler can probably tell you everything that was refurbed on this skiff. He does great work!

11. PLANKTON7

PLANKTON7 I Love microskiff.com!

Did someone say hells bay? Ill take it!

12. Snookdaddy

Side console appeared to be original..

Forgot to mention... It had two huge speakers holes on the front of the port and starboard rear storage boxes. If you look hard you can see the Starboard circles placed over the holes.. A real gem! ;D

13. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

Looks like the poor girl spent some time in a Tijuana Whore House and now someone put some cheap lipstick on her trying to make her pretty.

14. Snookdaddy

Even the video makes it look good, but you can see the missing fender, the block covering the hole on the bow, the hinges missing on the starboard hatch, the missing steering knob, and a few holes in the deck.

The video does not show the missing trim tab, the caked sand around the gas tank, the mildew in the front hatch and the horrendous wiring job.

Do any of you think the screw holes were filled before the Sea-Dek went down? 

It you look at that boat, bring a flashlight and a mirror and be prepared to lay down an look up under the gunnels and all the hatches..  Due diligence is key on this boat.

Understand... I looked at the boat, up close and personal.. I knew the guy would take 12K for the boat, BUT I also knew that the boat and trailer needed about 10K in repair (by Glasser or Castaway) to really bring it up to "like new" condition.. I didn't see any compelling reason the have 22K in a restore and hope to get 25k on the market..

It appears that this guy made the boat look nice using the least expensive way to get there. Sea-Deking a boat is a lot less expensive than prepping and spraying Awl-Grip. Covering holes with Check Plates and Starboard is a hell of alot cheaper than cutting new core and glassing up the holes properly..

It's almost like taking a flooded "hurricane" car that is in demand and polishing it up just enough to hook a buyer..

Just use your head if you look at the boat and not your heart.

15. Capt. Eli Whidden

And now we know... The rest of the story.

16. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Yo Snook, you should become the official Microskiff used HB Rep for the site. Hell, I'd pay ya a commission to dig deep on something I was paying 20k plus for used. Good looking out..

17. swampfox

swampfox 01 Hells Bay Guide.07 ECC LOSTMEN-sold

Almost sounds line somebody went beach camping in th 10ks ;)

18. castawaycustoms

castawaycustoms Well-Known Member

Decked the boat out per the customers request with SeaDek, that's all we did to it. I've seen the boat in the past as well and looks like the customer has put some money into it, but like other mentioned it has a past but good bones.

19. swampfox

swampfox 01 Hells Bay Guide.07 ECC LOSTMEN-sold

I saw this boat listed at $13k also. That's where it should be. Not $25k like a normal condition HB. The seller is being a deuce bag with his misleading ad. Using descriptions such as-not a scratch-excellent condition-you cant find a used boat in better shape,ect. He has no mention of the trauma this boat has been thru. I agree with Tyler it has good bones. And will still serve many years. But the buyer needs to be told of the issues. Obviously this boat was sunk/buried on the beach. Pulling it outta the sand is probably how the hook eye, front cleat and tab got pulled out. And the waves beat the hell outta hatches and such. That crappy cheap ass plastic hatch is covering a big hole. It looks like someone had to rewire the entire boat. This guy is a ass trying to screw some guy to make a dollar. We need to spread the word about this boat. Again this boat can have many years of fishing ahead of it. But price and advertise it like is. :mad: