Hells Bay

Discussion in 'Gulf Coast, Alabama to Texas' started by ktn78704, Dec 29, 2017.

1. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

Your observations regarding spinning with the pole and running a little slower on plane with the same HP are both true, but the advantages of poling straighter with shallower draft, making hairpin turns on plane without sliding, and running pretty shallow without a tunnel are worth the trade off for many.

2. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

My comments here refer to skiffs in Texas shallow water (less than 1 or 1 and 1/2 feet)
    There is almost never a need a spin or turn a skiff quickly with the push pole while hunting shallow Texas fish. Also the sponsons push the motor weight forward and when combined with a forward leaning poling platform create better weight distribution. The versions of the 16 Whipray I like are the newer, heavier models with the 50 HP Tohatsu tiller.

3. not2shabby

not2shabby Well-Known Member

A courtesy spin to put a fly caster into position on a shot is not unusual on my skiff. I spin often and think my skiff spins easily. There’s a little extra noise/resistance because of the sponsons, but it doesn’t bother me.

Spinning also helps keep flies out of my back if we’re approaching a fish off the bow.

Stevie, Smackdaddy53 and Tx_Whipray like this.

4. I am sorry but this is simply not true. Here you are talking about miles of 12"-24" water. There is no poling into lets say the Island. You either run or you don't go there. There isn't enough time in the day to pole.

Anyone who says you can jump up in 24" of water, let alone run, without tearing up the bottom in any non tunnel boat is not being honest. Lets say you have a microskiff running a 25hp. Your lower unit is going to be 8-9 inches below the bottom of the boat. You are not going to jump up in 12" of water on hard sand. You might over mud but either way you are tearing up the bottom. While you are on plane that engine needing 8-9 inches will need at least 15-16 inches not to bother the grass. I know this because of running tunnel hulls where the engine is ABOVE the hull. You still suck up grass, mud, ect. Get a ruler out and then say I can jump up in 12"

Draft wise, I still do not believe a well designed tunnel (think six sided) takes more water to float. Hell, look at a redfishline. They draft as shallow as most poling skiffs and have a huge tunnel. Even if it does you are talking about at the most a 1/2" difference between a tunnel and non tunnel.

Either way an outboard disturbs the fish. I would argue that a non tunnel boat disturbs them less because the exhaust coming out in the stream of water is above the actual water line. Therefore there is less sound being distributed to the water.

Sorry to go on a rant. Caught me at the wrong moment!!! haha

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  5. not2shabby

not2shabby Well-Known Member

This is a deep rabbit hole.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  6. richg99

richg99 1652 G3; Malibu Mini-X kayak

7. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

Depends on who you talk to! A foot deep scares some of these guys. :D

not2shabby likes this.
  8. ktn78704

ktn78704 Active Member

That’s what I’ve been hearing tunnel doesn’t pole or run as well.
    Thanks,
    Kris