Hells Bay Values?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jakeellington, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

Were you born in '81? I was too, your posts read as if you were 80 and sitting on the porch yelling at people to keep off the lawn. Lighten up, you're not even over the hill yet. ;)

2. el9surf

el9surf Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out what a Colt following is.

3. tgjohnso

tgjohnso Well-Known Member

haha my mistake...I've got a colt m4 within arms reach...I meant cult.

el9surf likes this.
  4. SomaliPirate

SomaliPirate Well-Known Member

I had the opportunity to purchase this thread in 2014 and passed. Sadly this thread now sells for about 3-5k more than it did then. When you have a custom thread with top notch fit and finish, it's going to hold value. That's the lesson to be learned here folks.

5. jaxflatsfisherman

jaxflatsfisherman Well-Known Member

I feel like a boss in mine unless there's a Chittum around.

bw510 and damthemainstream like this.
  6. fjmaverick

fjmaverick Well-Known Member

Like anything else its worth what someone is willing to pay
    If youve met any of the hells bay fruit cakes you know they are willing to pay a lot to be different.

paint it black likes this.
  7. mtoddsolomon

mtoddsolomon Lip Ripper

Coincidentally when I'm around a bunch of Hell's Bay's I always feel like the Ferrari at the Rolls convention.

paint it black and tgjohnso like this.
  8. jaxflatsfisherman

jaxflatsfisherman Well-Known Member

I was just playing off the HB bashing by Chittum. I could actually care less about identifying with any boat brand. It's a bit silly. A cool boat is a cool boat and to each their own as to what a person likes, has or dislikes for that matter. :) Props definitely go to the guys that build their own though. Those are the guys worthy of pride.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  9. Str8-Six

Str8-Six I Love microskiff.com!

I've always wanted a Hells Bay and might have one day. I can afford one but my wife would probably kill me if I spent that much money on a boat. I just bought some Hells Bay decals and I'm going to put them on my Ankona. Heard that makes the boat faster, draft shallower, better fit n finish and increases the value.

Alvin Dedeaux and tgjohnso like this.
  10. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

@Smackdaddy53
    I stand by my comments. I've been on here for I think about 11 years now and this forum is one of the best on the net. However there seems to be one topic that always brings out the worst in us and it's anything to do with HB prices. Several times a year someone will start, or resurrect, one of these threads and all of a sudden it turns into the THT or FS forum. You will notice not many of the threads are left as mods had to delete many in the past due to....issues. And many a warning was given to members.
    If you like HB, buy a HB. If not there are other options around. Like others have said something is worth what people are willing to pay.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  11. Palma Sola

Palma Sola Well-Known Member

HB are surely sweet skiffs.
    I like certain features, the interior hatch hinges appeal to me. I like that clean look. The Kevlar build debate is always worth highlighting, and at this point perhaps overdone? We know it's the strongest material but it's the application and quality of resins and time taken that makes the difference. At the time I bought my skiff, I could afford a HB, but I wanted to closer to my boat builder, and liked driving 10 minutes to have a dialogue with them. I have had to tweak a few things on my skiff, small repairs etc, but I think that comes with owning a boat? I'm glad that HB set the standard for which others boat builders can aspire, and surely these other skiff builders are as passionate about quality as HB. I'm 65 years old, and buying a skiff and living part of my life as fisherman has been my dream forever. I'm really proud of what I'm learning and what it means to have hull rash, and even how to "fry up" a slot snook . I think we all share the challenge of the hunt for fish, and our skiff is our partner! It's that special thrill that matters most to me. Whether I'm drinking a can of beer, or a bottle of Meursault after I clean my skiff I'm still the same proud fisherman.We all share this common thread and whatever skiff you float is your choice, and hope to see you out there in whatever skiff you have. I'm personally more interested in tying good knots and fishing than debating the merits of my skiff investment ..

privateer and tgjohnso like this.
  12. coconutgroves

coconutgroves Well-Known Member

I nearly pulled the trigger on a late model Waterman, but when I did the math I realized I could have two boats instead of one. I actually already had the first boat, my Kenner center console, but wanted to restore and customize it for fly fishing. The restore and the B2 came in at nearly the same price as the Waterman.

For the types of water I fish here in TX I really need 3 boats. Hell, I could take an offshore boat too, but honestly I wouldn't use it. My brother had a 27' Mako for several years and I rarely went offshore. I just love the inshore fly game too much.

My center console handles bigger water and the lakes. The Beavertail is great in 7" of water. The 3rd boat would be a Glades style skiff that drafts 5" to get back into the miles of endless lakes and creeks we have. That is another world back there.

Brand, quality and status plays a large part of buying a HB. There is that saying about a Rolex and a Timex. Both do the same job, but one is several thousand and the other is $40. However, the Timex won't get you laid. :)

J Jones and EdK13 like this.
  13. Palma Sola

Palma Sola Well-Known Member

But with the money you save on the Timex, can't you have 3 ladies for the price of one? I can't imagine owning 3 boats for just the time they take to keep them in good shape etc!
    I've never been on a B2 but have heard great things about her.. 7 inches seems shallow enough to me .. Thanks

14. HBFanatic

HBFanatic Well-Known Member

Well said

ABoykin likes this.
  15. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

7 pages and finally something worth while! Thanks Marietta Mike.

paint it black likes this.
  16. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I've unfollowed this thread, but it keeps coming back, lol.

The above story was great, and I fully appreciate the the hunt for what you want. But the conclusion illiterates why so many have heartburn over these threads. No one can tell you how to use your money, or what to do with your boat. I've seen a HB fishing an off shore reef, and bass fishing with a TM on the front. Doesn't mean they should be shunned by the hardcore pole guys...... and yes that statement is funny..... I remember growing up if you were into fishing, then you had a community of friends, no matter the style or price tag.

sjrobin and Net 30 like this.
  17. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

You know, my buddy just sold his Waterman and ordered a brand new Maverick HPX, because it is a better skiff.

18. Bluwave

Bluwave Well-Known Member

come on dude.. this thread was just about to calm down

firecat1981 and tgjohnso like this.
  19. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

lmao just trying to stir the pot a little bit.

20. POCtied

POCtied Well-Known Member

Newer is always better