Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would post this and just see what everyone thinks. Simply to get feedback.

What does anyone know about Hells Bay boats propensity to blister?

I will post a picture when I figure out how.

I have read so many different ideas on his subject and it seems all over the board.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Seems very odd. How old is the hull? Also was it left in the water for an extended period of time? Did this just happen after a fishing trip??? Sorry not trying to stir the pot just looking for a little background.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is 2012 and boat is in great condition other than this. Was told is did not sit in water and it looks like it did not. I was just curious to get all info I can. Better to have all the resources and be informed as best I can.

Had some oyster rash but that is the name of the game for shallow water fishing, at least in Texas it is.

I bought it and am sending to Tom Gordon to completely re-do hull. Other question would be, what are chances this becomes a pain in the butt reoccurring thing?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
256 Posts
It is 2012 and boat is in great condition other than this. Was told is did not sit in water and it looks like it did not. I was just curious to get all info I can. Better to have all the resources and be informed as best I can.

Had some oyster rash but that is the name of the game for shallow water fishing, at least in Texas it is.

I bought it and am sending to Tom Gordon to completely re-do hull. Other question would be, what are chances this becomes a pain in the butt reoccurring thing?
I would call Hells Bay, and get their thoughts, it’s possible the hull has been worked on after it left Hells Bay by someone who did not do a good job....I’d bet money on it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have, spoke with them. I am trying to get feedback without downing anyone or any company. I got the history from hells bay, there was a gash (4”) that the owner called and said he was bringing to fix. He never did. The gash was nowhere near all the blisters though. Should it be a concern that ,posture has invaded the hull and will always be a problem?

I have heard Tom is awesome, I am guessing he would say it will be an issue if he didn’t think he could fix it.

The hull re-work is expensive so I am hoping it works.

B

·
0 Posts
Is that Awlgrip or another paint or is that gelcoat? Chances of re occurrence are slim if you are taking to Tom for a restore, he will figure out what caused it. There are many things that can cause the bubbles! If it is a repaint then too fast of a reducer could have started the process from day one, if it’s Awlgrip then a few days in the water could be enough, gelcoat could be poor adhesion, contaminates between gel and glass, moisture, etc...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My guess is they will. The dealer I bought it from (owner was trading in) has been very good to deal with.

He is driving the boat to Tom for me due to having to go there anyway for other items.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very strange I have never seen this on a hull(of any brand). I’m dying to know the storey there. It doesn’t look like any sort of major delamination that would be caused by a gash in the hull.

·
Registered
470 Posts
With surfboards, ones you find that have been left in an attic or in direct sunlight can delaminate similarly...probably not the same thing

·
I Love microskiff.com!
541 Posts
Man..no wonder this pro was on the market for so long at that low price
Hope you got a good deal for the blisters

·
I Love microskiff.com!
541 Posts
Also maybe it has damage under the keel guard that could have soaked up water??

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did get a very good deal. I am in it very good even with Tom Doing a complete revamp on hull.

I am not worried as long as Tom can fix it right one time. It’s expensive for me to get it to Tom from Texas.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Looks like awlgrip that sat in the water for too long. Are all the blisters below the waterline?
Is that Awlgrip or another paint or is that gelcoat? Chances of re occurrence are slim if you are taking to Tom for a restore, he will figure out what caused it. There are many things that can cause the bubbles! If it is a repaint then too fast of a reducer could have started the process from day one, if it’s Awlgrip then a few days in the water could be enough, gelcoat could be poor adhesion, contaminates between gel and glass, moisture, etc...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts