Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I recently sold my beavertail osprey which I loved for personal use and occasional guiding with the right person or people. I have had my eyes set on the hells bay guide for a while now because of its ability to fish more people and or heavier people. It also has better storage, floats shallower, and goes faster (assuming it is powered with Yamaha 90 2s).

My question is, is there really anything else out there that compares to this particular skiff? I mean fish 3 average size people and float in 4.5-6" depending on load? I realize it isn't the perfect poling skiff due to width but it gets the job done. Any info would be greatly appreciated..

·
I Love microskiff.com!
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe I understand how these things work. Here's a little clarification..
If its just me and I need to hop out to push lightly loaded skiff over a bar to get into a fishable area then 4.5 might be accurate. Fishing myself and another average size guy lightly loaded, real world draft could be 5.5-6. Add another person and maybe we are at 6-6.5...

I know skiffs are weight sensitive animals. My objective would be to fish 1-2 plus myself in 9" plus of water most of the time. If I wanted to get skinnier with the right person or people I could. Make more sense?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Agree with @timogleason - I think your expectations of a HB Guide's draft are not realistic. 4.5" to 5" is Gladeskiff, 6" is Waterman with a light engine. The Guide will be more of a 8" to 10" when loaded.

Think of it this way, a beer can is 4.75" tall. Stand that up on a table and think of a water column that shallow. There isn't a boat out there can fish 3 with full load and draft 5".

It really depends on the water you are fishing. If you have blue water, larger bays to cross, the Guide is great. And you could even step up to a newer 4 stroke instead of that Yammie 90 2 choke. Great engine, I've owned one, but the newer 4s don't really add that much draft.

You also mention getting out and pushing the boat when super shallow. Skiffs are meant to be balanced with someone on the nose to raise the stern. Without anyone on the boat, the stern will squat and actually have less draft.

Last point, larger fish are in deeper water. Bulls and over slot fish aren't in 6" of water. My B2 drafts about 6" with 2 people, but I am usually poling in a foot of water, sometimes near deeper water to find the larger fish. In LA you can be in up to 2' of water to find the biggins.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
Funny you mention it -- I can't think of any other skiffs that fill the same niche as the Guide. Regardless of what the true draft is, once most skiffs get a little beam to them, they also start to get some deadrise.

Now I'm curious too, are there any other slightly wider skiffs that keep a flat(ish) bottom and still pole well? I've only fished from a Guide once, but I was impressed with how shallow we got for the size of the boat. What about an EvoX? They seem to be pretty wide, although I'm not sure about the width at the waterline, where you're getting all the displacement.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If you want to fish 3 guys in 4-5” of water, I’d be looking at aChittum 2 degree or maybe a Sabine Versatile. A guide is a very heavy boat. Last I talked to HB, they weren’t even offering it in carbon innegra which made me wonder if they were going to keep making them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I picked up a 2001 guide in Oct. I'm thrilled with how shallow the draft is. You'd have to load it full of lead and bricks to draft 10" based on my experience. Then again I have a 60 HP, no trolling motor(for now), and keep less than 10 gallons fuel on board. I'm always hearing how the older HB's are lighter. I've only spent time on older ones so don't have real world comparison.

To answer your question: Not that I know of. Reason I bought the guide...versatile enough to get skinny, usually fish 2, but needs to be rated for 4. I hear the 10 wt will do it too, but I wasn't looking to buy new so didn't consider it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I picked up a 2001 guide in Oct. I'm thrilled with how shallow the draft is. You'd have to load it full of lead and bricks to draft 10" based on my experience. Then again I have a 60 HP, no trolling motor(for now), and keep less than 10 gallons fuel on board. I'm always hearing how the older HB's are lighter. I've only spent time on older ones so don't have real world comparison.

To answer your question: Not that I know of. Reason I bought the guide...versatile enough to get skinny, usually fish 2, but needs to be rated for 4. I hear the 10 wt will do it too, but I wasn't looking to buy new so didn't consider it.
If you have any questions on repairing your boat give me a call at the shop and I’ll be happy to help you out.
Floyd Skiff Co.
386-689-9594

1 - 11 of 11 Posts