Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
24 Posts
I run a micro and it’s an impressive boat for a microskiff. The fit and finish are super. The boat is laid out well with loads of bow space. It is a Microskiff. You wouldn’t be dancing down the sides of the boat. Its a straight line boat, meaning if you keep your weight near the centerline you will be the most stable.
I prefer the side console. Not much sacrifice in room and the convenience of a helm.
Its primarily a two man boat comfortably.
Any help I can be with more info, just reach out.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I would also look at the Drake Outlaw in the price range and size

This. They supposedly won't make a side console any more , but I'm a tiller guy anyway.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I looked at Simple Skiffs, but they use low quality resins and glass. I think you're better off buying a used HB, East Cape, or Beaver Tail for that kind of money

Simple Skiff Hull: $10,000
Trailer: $2,000
Motor: $4,500-5,000
Poling Platform: $800-1,000
Fuel: $200-300
Wiring, Lights, etc: $200-400
Build Deck, Paint, Finish, etc: $1,000-5,000
Time to finish: 20+ hours
Total: $19,000 - $24,000 + time

I know everyone has their opinion on this DIY hull, but that's a lot in my mind for a polyester skiff with a low resale value. I'd rather pay 30k for a HB, EC, BT

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I looked at Simple Skiffs, but they use low quality resins and glass. I think you're better off buying a used HB, East Cape, or Beaver Tail for that kind of money

Simple Skiff Hull: $10,000
Trailer: $2,000
Motor: $4,500-5,000
Poling Platform: $800-1,000
Fuel: $200-300
Wiring, Lights, etc: $200-400
Build Deck, Paint, Finish, etc: $1,000-5,000
Time to finish: 20+ hours
Total: $19,000 - $24,000 + time

I know everyone has their opinion on this DIY hull, but that's a lot in my mind for a polyester skiff with a low resale value. I'd rather pay 30k for a HB, EC, BT

I think you are spot on and even conservative with your estimates. And I imagine you would have to get a personal loan for the hull since the hull doesn't have a HIN.

Reactions: texasag07

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
HB, hands down. The Eldora is a fishing machine. BT does not have the same reputation for quality and micro is much smaller. My advice, fish them both for a day. A guide friend and I both owned BT Mosquitoes. Not bad but we were both always doing repairs. His Eldora can go where my Chittum does owing to being set up light with a short shaft engine. Don’t miss my BT at all.

• Haha
Reactions: flytyn and KnotHome

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I ended up going with the Eldora. I did like the things like permanent gas tank, small live well for shrimp and crabs, and hatches on the Micro. However better stability and a more open area with super skinny abilities is what I was looking for and stability being very important. The Eldora looks a lot bigger in person and they guarantee at least 22 miles per hour with that super lite Yamaha 25 HP tiller. If I need all the creature comforts on any particular day, then I’ll fall back on the Marquesa which looks like a luxury cruiser next to the Eldora. I’ll be able to give a fair review on the Eldora in about 15 months.

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,734 Posts
I ended up going with the Eldora. I did like the things like permanent gas tank, small live well for shrimp and crabs, and hatches on the Micro. However better stability and a more open area with super skinny abilities is what I was looking for and stability being very important. The Eldora looks a lot bigger in person and they guarantee at least 22 miles per hour with that super lite Yamaha 25 HP tiller. If I need all the creature comforts on any particular day, then I’ll fall back on the Marquesa which looks like a luxury cruiser next to the Eldora. I’ll be able to give a fair review on the Eldora in about 15 months.
The Eldora hull is the same hull as the original Whipray/Waterman 16. Lots of them were sold with Merc 25's.

You'll be like Flatsclass' CA Richardson with an Eldora and a Marquesa. And I'm seeing CA out fishing in his Eldora more and more.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Great choice. My guide buddy absolutely loves his Eldora and he's on the water a bunch. I think he went with a short shaft Tohatsu 40. He has a tiller with a bench in the middle for two. That may be the most capable fishing machine for south of 30K, IMO. Ask HB about the shaft length, etc.

Reactions: STR

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Haha, it was because of watching his videos that I found out about the Eldora and ended up buying it. I do know about the Whipray and love it also, but that a bit more money for not a giant leap up from the Eldora. I also feel I might be fishing out of a lot more than I thought

·
Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
947 Posts
I think you’ll do better than 22mph with a 25.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I would love the 40 HP Tohatsu, but I’m worried about the extra 80 lbs and how it will affect my draft.
There are no good choices in the 40 horse class as far as weight. They all weigh what their 50 and 60 horse counterparts do.

Reactions: sjrobin

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I would love the 40 HP Tohatsu, but I’m worried about the extra 80 lbs and how it will affect my draft.
I would ask folks. Probably not a deal killer at all for that skiff. I bet the 40 is perfect. I think Flip Pallot set his up the same. Joe talks to Flip quite a bit and got his input on power.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I would ask folks. Probably not a deal killer at all for that skiff. I bet the 40 is perfect. I think Flip Pallot set his up the same. Joe talks to Flip quite a bit and got his input on power.
If it is the one I'm thinking off, Flip's skiff had a two stroke TLDI on it. 159 lbs vs 209 lbs for a four stroke 40.

Reactions: sjrobin

·
I Love microskiff.com!
785 Posts
Welcome to the dark side brudda. ☠

·
Registered
2014 BT Elite
54 Posts
I looked at both very hard and have never been in either. The key to where I fish is a jack plate and tilt trim. The eldora with the Yamaha with aux tilt trim I thought was a terrible idea. I’m sure you can get both on it, but was a turn off for me after looking harder in to it. Coming from a classic gheenoe with a jack plate and zuke 20 with no tilt trim. I didn’t want to compromise again. The new little chittum is badass but I still like the micro and their reviews from former gheenoe guys. I needed up with an elite which I love, but should have stuck to my plan of a little beater boat.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts