Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm from NW Missouri. I'm actually in pursuit of a skiff. I currently pole the mud flats for carp, gar and whatever else will take a fly!

·
Registered
2019 Jackson Mayfly, Jackson Kilroy DT
764 Posts
Hello! I'm from NW Missouri. I'm actually in pursuit of a skiff. I currently pole the mud flats for carp, gar and whatever else will take a fly!
Welcome aboard! Are you looking to expand your fishing to the salt or will you keep to the freshwater species? I know that whatever you're poling now to sucessfully fish for carp must be working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My five year plan is to move to the warmth of the salt... South. Currently polling a jackson liska.

I have lots of zero fish days... But thats carp fly fishing in a nutshell.

I target most anything in the water.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,322 Posts
My five year plan is to move to the warmth of the salt... South. Currently polling a jackson liska.

I have lots of zero fish days... But thats ... fly fishing in a nutshell.

I target most anything in the water.
There I fixed it for you, LOL. If you get good at poling a skiff to make a decent shot at a carp, you'll be just fine when you get the salt flats. Wind might be the only issue on the salt but good casting technique and a well timed double haul will get it done. Then there are the sheepshead. The little buggers are the carp of the salt flats and marshes. Very skittish and even more unpredictable about getting an eat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There I fixed it for you, LOL. If you get good at poling a skiff to make a decent shot at a carp, you'll be just fine when you get the salt flats. Wind might be the only issue on the salt but good casting technique and a well timed double haul will get it done. Then there are the sheepshead. The little buggers are the carp of the salt flats and marshes. Very skittish and even more unpredictable about getting an eat.

@jay.bush1434 touche! I deal with 20-40mph winds in the midwest all of the time... Most people don't realize that there are no trees in Kansas haha! As you move up states, I usually just measure them by Kansas' (a.k.a. Nebraska is kansas 2.0, etc) because they just get colder... So, I'm pretty used to fishing in the wind. Also, the wind doesn't often blow in one direction. You have it out of the south, then all of a sudden it'll be out of the west, or east. That being said, I often switch lines from something like a wulff TT to something like a more forward-taper profile to punch the wind (cortland flats or tarpon taper). Depends on the fly size, situation, wind, etc. I honestly wouldn't mind getting down on a few people's skiffs in the salt, first, before I make a decision. But not everyone likes to whore their boat out to stranger!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,322 Posts
@jay.bush1434 touche! I deal with 20-40mph winds in the midwest all of the time... Most people don't realize that there are no trees in Kansas haha! As you move up states, I usually just measure them by Kansas' (a.k.a. Nebraska is kansas 2.0, etc) because they just get colder... So, I'm pretty used to fishing in the wind. Also, the wind doesn't often blow in one direction. You have it out of the south, then all of a sudden it'll be out of the west, or east. That being said, I often switch lines from something like a wulff TT to something like a more forward-taper profile to punch the wind (cortland flats or tarpon taper). Depends on the fly size, situation, wind, etc. I honestly wouldn't mind getting down on a few people's skiffs in the salt, first, before I make a decision. But not everyone likes to whore their boat out to stranger!
If you make it down to Galveston, Texas give me a shout and I'll take you out on my EVOx to chase redfish and sheepshead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts