Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've been a longtime lurker of this site and others like it and finally have a reason to post. I recently acquired a 14' fiberglass skiff from a neighbor and I plan on restoring it to use around creeks in the North Florida/Jacksonville area. My neighbor does not have a title nor does he know what type of hull it is as it has no markings. Would anyone be able to identify it based on the pictures below?

Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Welcome Pauper. I'm also a new member.Sorry, I can't help you out with the skiff make. Are you going to try to register it as a" home made"? What kind of modifications plans do you have?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
676 Posts
Before you put a lot of money into restoring it, get a title for it. Call the FWC and tell them you need an Other Than Homemade Vessel Inspection. They will send an officer out to look at the boat, and if he cannot determine who the owner is and their is no evidence of fraud, DHMV will most likely issue you a title for the boat. Works with old boats like that where there is no evidence of fraud or theft. It is best that they look at it before you start stripping and covering up any identifiers on the boat. Don't register it as Homemade, since no matter how many modifications you make to the vessel it is not a homemade vessel, and when you go to register the boat you would have to sign an affidavit swearing to the fact that you manufactured it. If you have any questions, PM me.

B

·
0 Posts
Before you put a lot of money into restoring it, get a title for it. Call the FWC and tell them you need an Other Than Homemade Vessel Inspection. They will send an officer out to look at the boat, and if he cannot determine who the owner is and their is no evidence of fraud, DHMV will most likely issue you a title for the boat. Works with old boats like that where there is no evidence of fraud or theft. It is best that they look at it before you start stripping and covering up any identifiers on the boat. Don't register it as Homemade, since no matter how many modifications you make to the vessel it is not a homemade vessel, and when you go to register the boat you would have to sign an affidavit swearing to the fact that you manufactured it. If you have any questions, PM me.
This^^^!

·
Registered
852 Posts
If the HIN ia still on the transom (generally in the upper starboard quadrant) that should tell you the manufacturer and the month & year of manufacture.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
676 Posts
Also, if the boat was titled in any state and the previous owner just cannot find the title, all you have to do is get an application for a replacement title and have him sign it then send it into the state where it was title. By far that is the easiest way to get a title.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the heads up I will definitely follow up on that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was all the information I could find on FWC's website. https://myfwc.com/boating/waterway/derelict-vessels/claims-process-faqs/

Apparently 45-120 days to do the investigation and $300-600 for the cost of the investigation. That's ridiculous.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
676 Posts
This was all the information I could find on FWC's website. https://myfwc.com/boating/waterway/derelict-vessels/claims-process-faqs/

Apparently 45-120 days to do the investigation and $300-600 for the cost of the investigation. That's ridiculous.
You looked up the wrong information, the poster is not trying to claim a derelict vessel, he is attempting to get a title for a boat that he owns. Big difference. The Other Than Homemade Boat Inspection is free, the best case they recommend a title be issued, the worst case they deny it. Based on the age and intrinsic value of the boat I would think they will go ahead and issue a title.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You looked up the wrong information, the poster is not trying to claim a derelict vessel, he is attempting to get a title for a boat that he owns. Big difference. The Other Than Homemade Boat Inspection is free, the best case they recommend a title be issued, the worst case they deny it. Based on the age and intrinsic value of the boat I would think they will go ahead and issue a title.
I posted the above information, the original poster. Thanks for the info you sent me in pm!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts