Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have comparison feedback on these four skiffs? They are all seeming super capable for the purist who loves an ultra skinny, ultra utilitarian skiff. Things I’m curious to know:

- How does Eldora compare to the original Whipray? I noticed on HB website it says the current Whipray has same draft as they advertise for Eldora, but the Eldora supposedly weighs a couple hundred lbs less. Something doesn’t line up for me...how does Eldora compare to original Whipray since the original Whipray is similar weight but appears to have better storage config? Anyone have experience running both the original Whipray and the Eldora?

-what’s true poling draft with 2anglers, engine, fuel, and gear of those skiffs?

-how well do they handle chop in 20mph winds? Oftentimes I cross the bay with clients and it’s 1-2ft rollers.

-overall feedback on the pole?...how silent the hull is with regards to minimal hull slap, stability, ease of spinning, etc...

Disclaimer - I previously ran a Gheenoe LT25 with Tohatsu 20 tiller and now guide out of a BT Mosquito center console with Zuke 60. Both have their pros and cons like any skiff. I’m not trying to start a religious war with my inquiry...I simply want some real world feedback.

A utilitarian tiller skiff such as Whipray, Eldora, Willet, or Outlaw that will draft 3-5” with 2-3 anglers+load and still stay reasonably dry when running in a foot or two of chop sounds very appealing to me to add to the fleet at my lodge.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Much appreciated!

-Joe

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How heavy are your clients? 3-5” draft with 2 guys is possible if they are a buck fifty and three is stretching it in a small skiff. 6-8” sounds more realistic.
Clients are typically 150-200. Recently on my old LT25 we ran around with me and two anglers...easily 4-5” draft with 3 people and that’s a relatively small/narrow hull. If these skiffs listed will perform similarly this would be a game changer for my use cases.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I own a low HP, lightweight whipray. Me, my GF, dog and cooler amounts to approx 475lbs and my boat drafts between 5-6in with that load.

Im biased I think the Whipray is the best of the ones you have mentioned for poling, stability for clients, ride and storage. Close second would be the drake, its a touch narrower so less stability, poles slightly better.

Keep in mind the eldora is a whipray, just less storage, finish work ect..

Never fished a willet

·
Registered
906 Posts
The tunnel on the Willet seems like a differentiator for running shallow. I would guess it would run skinnier than anything on your list.

Older Whiprays have proven to hold value, if that's important.

I think there's an Outlaw in Corpus Christi now. Drake might be able to introduce you to the owner.

I'm excited for you, whatever you land on! Tight lines, amigo!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Outl
The outlaw is a pretty narrow so the Whipray or Eldora the Explora would be a more stable option for clients. I like the drake outlaw but I wouldn't want more than 2 people on it at one time.
Outlaw beam is 59” according to their website. Willet is 62”. Agreed they might be a bit narrow for what I’d like but won’t know until I wet test them. They both appear to be wicked little skiffs!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The tunnel on the Willet seems like a differentiator for running shallow. I would guess it would run skinnier than anything on your list.

Older Whiprays have proven to hold value, if that's important.

I think there's an Outlaw in Corpus Christi now. Drake might be able to introduce you to the owner.

I'm excited for you, whatever you land on! Tight lines, amigo!
I agree it should be able to get up skinnier but once on plane I’d argue that (I’d setup correctly) the other skiffs should perform with similar running draft even though they lack a tunnel. Since I typically pole on
I own a low HP, lightweight whipray. Me, my GF, dog and cooler amounts to approx 475lbs and my boat drafts between 5-6in with that load.

Im biased I think the Whipray is the best of the ones you have mentioned for poling, stability for clients, ride and storage. Close second would be the drake, its a touch narrower so less stability, poles slightly better.

Keep in mind the eldora is a whipray, just less storage, finish work ect..

Never fished a willet

Excellent feedback thank you! What year is your Whip?

Oddly enough, HB website lists the new Whipray as 570lbs and 3.5” draft (engine + fuel). They list the new Eldora as 350lbs and 3.5” draft. Something doesn’t line up. Which one is the skinnier boat??! =)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW - from looks of it I would venture a strong guess the Eldora has more shallow standing draft but would love a real comparison. According to some comments I’ve seen from Chris Morejohn, seems like he thinks the early Whips might draft less than Eldora based on a visual inspection of how the Eldora sits in the water.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With the Willet, you could get your skeg even with the hull bottom. Cav plate and Foreman prop should allow you to run in inches.

You should stop at New Water and talk to Tim about setup. You drive by there frequently!
I would like to drop in sometime to see their shop and ask some que
Hey Joe,

I have an early Whipray, supposedly one of the lightest. It measures 3” unloaded and something like 5” with 2 guys averaging 225. Runs 32 mph solo with Merc 25 2 stroke, 28 with 2 guys. I have video of running in chop; PM me with your mobile # and I will send it to you

Thanks Stevie! - sent you a DM.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the whipray and edlora have the same hull so they displace the same amount of water that is why they draft the same unloaded 3.5...once you start putting weight in the draft keeps going down.
Ok so this might have answered my question...if the hulls are identical (didn’t realize that) and they are using same material (carbon innegra) then the Eldora has to be a shallower draft skiff considering that it’s entirely stripped down and the Whipray has lots more interior finish out. Still don’t see why the Whipray is listed as 3.5” draft in a configuration that weighs much more than the Eldora though...

·
Brandon, FL
12,303 Posts
Anyone have comparison feedback on these four skiffs? They are all seeming super capable for the purist who loves an ultra skinny, ultra utilitarian skiff. Things I’m curious to know:

- How does Eldora compare to the original Whipray? I noticed on HB website it says the current Whipray has same draft as they advertise for Eldora, but the Eldora supposedly weighs a couple hundred lbs less. Something doesn’t line up for me...how does Eldora compare to original Whipray since the original Whipray is similar weight but appears to have better storage config? Anyone have experience running both the original Whipray and the Eldora?

-what’s true poling draft with 2anglers, engine, fuel, and gear of those skiffs?

-how well do they handle chop in 20mph winds? Oftentimes I cross the bay with clients and it’s 1-2ft rollers.

-overall feedback on the pole?...how silent the hull is with regards to minimal hull slap, stability, ease of spinning, etc...

Disclaimer - I previously ran a Gheenoe LT25 with Tohatsu 20 tiller and now guide out of a BT Mosquito center console with Zuke 60. Both have their pros and cons like any skiff. I’m not trying to start a religious war with my inquiry...I simply want some real world feedback.

A utilitarian tiller skiff such as Whipray, Eldora, Willet, or Outlaw that will draft 3-5” with 2-3 anglers+load and still stay reasonably dry when running in a foot or two of chop sounds very appealing to me to add to the fleet at my lodge.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Much appreciated!

-Joe
There's 50 page thread on the eldora

·
I Love microskiff.com!
247 Posts
There's 50 page thread on the eldora
I had to go look on their website after following this conversation. The only thing I can figure is they built the new Whip like a tank to handle the recommended 40-70 hp motor, when the older whip and the Conchfish are both designed for a 25. I still can't figure how the hell they added 220 pounds, that's almost the weight of another skiff. It's then impossible for them to both draft the same empty, and without a motor, so their draft specs on the website cannot be correct. I don't know what the PPI (pounds per inch inversion) is for these skiffs, but based on my Bateau builds I'd guess somewhere between 150-200 pounds, and probably more toward the lower end. So two anglers adding 300-400 pounds would sink the hull approximately 2", making it at least a 5" draft. Personally I feel all these boats are 2 man skiffs, unless you're just soaking bait, but that's just my opinion. Ideally, 1 on the platform, and 1 on the bow, a third guy is just in the way to sight fish efficiently and not have to take turns.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.