SOLD/EXPIRED HB Devilray

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by nsbsurfer15, Sep 30, 2014.

1. nsbsurfer15

nsbsurfer15 I Love microskiff.com!

Looks like this heap is for sale again. It would be worth it if the seller would be realistic on the price.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/4688343007.html

2. Capt. Eli Whidden

Capt. Eli Whidden Sight Fishing South Florida

But, it goes 40mph with the F40.

3. nsbsurfer15

I emailed the guy just for the heck of it. Says the price is non negotiable. I want what he's smoking !!

4. Capt. Eli Whidden

Capt. Eli Whidden Sight Fishing South Florida

It certainly has a lot of potential, especially with some Paul Payne love and a new trailer...

5. captllama

captllama SeaHunter 18'

I went to go look at this boat yesterday just for fun...it needs work!!!

Motor ran rough on the hose, the electrical was apparently redone months ago because the boat flooded with water on the trailer There was rust stains and corrosion all along the bilge area. The sale doesn't include the trailer, and it needs a good detailing, new carpet and paint on the deck.

Has anyone here made an offer on this boat? 15k seems high for a boat that was 21,000 new, 13 years ago.

6. nsbsurfer15

He wouldn't budge on the price and told me that everything was in great working condition and if did not need anything.

7. captllama

captllama SeaHunter 18'

When he turned the motor on, it would surge up and down, up and down in RPM.Not sure whats going on there

The fitting on the gas tank was beginning to corrode, and that hatch was nasty. The spring wasn't right either

The fuse block was new, but already showing signs of water corrosion around it. The whole bilge/underdeck area was in need of help

He had two speakers underneath, not working

the lifting harness in the rear for the big boat davits were frozen to the boat, so they needed to be removed via cutting them. If you leave them, you cannot properly close the hatch because the cables are attached to that

the skeg was missing on the motor, the cowling was scratched a good amount

the carpet was flaking off, needed total replacement

the floor was bubbly and the paint was in bad shape

The steering was stiff, but I think it was cable driven and I haven't used one in years so it could be fine.

the hull was in great shape, no bottom rash whatsoever on it. To get it to Hell's Bay standards, it needs 5-8,000 in work.

8. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

First off- the boat does not go 40MPH with that F40. Mine has a top speed of 36mph with a 2-stroke merc 40 when you turn your hat backwards...there's no way an F40 pushes it to 40.

Second off- it will take about 8 grand to restore that boat to brand new condition. That's if you ditch that brick of a 245lb F40 motor and spend $2000 on a 185lb 2-stroke 25/40 or $3500 for a new 30hp 180lb 4-stroke from Honda.

Third off- this is an amazing hull. it's a no shit 5-inch drafting skiff that will do it all. It was built off the whipray molds and 2' was cut from the skiff, 1' on the front deck and 1' in the cockpit area.

If you guys can somehow get this seller down to about $12k you will have an amazing deal and after restoring the skiff you will still be able to sell it for more than you paid + to have it restored.

I'm the resident devilray expert here as I own and redid one last year to brand new condition that was in similar shape ;)

9. captllama

captllama SeaHunter 18'

who redid your skiff? What did you do to it?

10. franklin.howell

franklin.howell I Love microskiff.com!

I bought a new Devilray from Hells Bay when Hal Chittum owned the company. I think it was in 2004 or 2005. Had a brand new Merc 25 2 stroke and a new Ramlin trailer. Paid about $16,000 for the whole package. Put it on a 65' yacht and fished the Bahamas and the Dry Tortugas. It was a great little 2 person skiff.

11. swampfox

swampfox 01 Hells Bay Guide.07 ECC LOSTMEN-sold

Man you guys are obsessed with this thing. ;D the value of a object is based on what it is worth to someone. The original price has nothing to do with some things. A 62 Ferrari 250 GTO could be had for under $20gs. But have sold for $35,000,000 recently. The way these old HBs were built and the fit/finish means the hull will be around form many more decades to come. That's why you are seeing them bringing a premium price. And usually beyond their original cost. When a refurb has been done. The value is still there. I do think he is possibly a bit high. And like the 62GTO where are you gonna buy another one right now? And that comes down to what the market sets-supply/demand. Somebody can ask whatever they want. The buyer in the end determines the price ;)

12. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

^ Very true. If your truly interested in owning a Devil Ray, don't let a few grand divide you from a purchase. It's not like these things come up for sale very often and it's been proven that resale value is very stable on these..

13. swampfox

Let's face it. If you need a "tender" 15gs ain't shiat to you much less a few over. My broke ass needs a ready to fish boat for that money. Must be nice :p

14. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

Glasser did mine....we redid everything to brand new.

15. evan_ott@yahoo.com

evan_ott@yahoo.com I Love microskiff.com!

What year is the F40. Is it carbed?

16. swampfox

I fished a rare Mako 1550 for years on the Goon. This one is a bit short of 15'. But you'd be surprised on how much you can still do in a boat this size.

17. RAWWATERFIHING

RAWWATERFIHING I Love microskiff.com!

I have to agree w/u swamp fox. It is an obsession w/some. Although HB's do hold there value, it's when they let them get completely run down and end up like this one. It will take at least a minimum of $6500 to get it somewhat back in the shape most of us like to see a boat of that resale value. At the asking price of $15,900 + $6500 to rework? $22,400 sure does seem a lot when new they went for $16,000 new. Spend another $2600 and buy Flip's. It needs no work! The only issue I have looking to buy a HB or any other, is if the seller is firm on the price, they please say "firm" in the listing. The HB Skate that has been for sale several times has an "asking" price. Then you call or tex the seller and find out that they are firm on the price, and then are rudely accused of just "kicking the tires". If you can't handle all the "calls"and "tex", then list it the correct way you want to sell it!!! I am sure it would reduce the number of possible buyers. Oh, and recently a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO Berlinetta went for $38.1 M. Wow maybe now we should all jump on the sale of this skiff.

18. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

Where do you guys get 6 and 8K to fix this skiff up?   I'm not saying it is priced right, it's not but can't any of you do anything yourselves?   Does every Hell's Bay have to go to Glasser to be made perfect? A little sweat equity goes a long way. 

19. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

HB owners are in a pay bracket that allows them to not need to do icky manual labor. Lol but on a serious note, taking the boat to glasser is more of a aid in the future resale. If i knew glasser did all the repairs or some guy i dont know, im definately going with glasser

20. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

I would agree if this was a wreck but it's far from that.