Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Have not seen a picture like this in a while

11K views 98 replies 35 participants last post by  SomaliPirate 
#1 ·
See less See more
#40 ·
Rat Redfish Stringer: 1, Gary Bruce, Cut Off, 36-6. 2, Ryan Bagala, Cut Off, 36-0. 3, Barry Bourgeois, Cut Off, 35-10.

I wonder if they'll run a Tarpon stringer category next year.:rolleyes:

Louisiana is basically what would happen if you made Dixie county into a State.
Where did that come from? Dixie County? Oh I see, we live in Florida and we're better than Alabama and Georgia. And since you live in Brevard County (or where ever because I don't give a (&*#*&) and you think that makes you better than the folks in North Florida. Its BS to start slamming other people and act like you are something special. You are not.

#5 ·
It just shows how ignorant people are when money is involved. There’s nothing even close to conservation in any of their kill tournaments and that’s their middle name...if you guys saw how many hundreds of trout over 7 pounds are killed and weighed in for this POS Texas STAR tournament you’d have nightmares. People don’t even bat an eye, even guides are all about allowing clients to throw 35 1/2” trout in their cooler for money. Not on my boat...

#7 ·
We've come a long way since the days when every tarpon tournament (and all the billfish tournaments) here in Florida was a kill tournament... I still have my kill gaff (big seven foot long wooden shaft - five inch hook... ) from that era. Instead of criticizing that sort of stuff (pretty easy to do...) do a bit of research and help fund any outfit that trying to stop kill tournaments.

For anyone reading this that lives in places where kill tournaments are still common - make a point of telling anyone asking for conservation monies that they'll not get a dime if they keep on doing that sort of stuff.

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
I read that article and went to the official website of this tournament and did not see any mention of CCA.

Would you please show where you see CCA is sponsoring this 71 year old tournament?

I am not condoning the event nor do I support all actions of CCA, but I really dislike when accuses others without merit. When you post the proof of their sponsorship I will remove this post.
On the tournament home page there is a sponsor banner at the bottom. CCA La is listed there.

#12 ·
To start, we need to limit the number of tournaments period. Make it like a draw system that is done for hunting public lands. Then make the a photo and release tournament. Can you imagine running a cattle ranch and killing your best bulls and cows as fast as you can???
HB has a tournament in Rockport that is photo and release and it fun and for the most part no fish are killed.
If we don't start doing something now we all know what's coming. More new fishermen and no more NEW Water.
And by the way CCA is for profit company. Yes they have done some god but they are still about profits. Just think about the money they make at the banquets!! Most people don't know that.

#16 ·
Guys, before you jump on CCA... do a bit of research...

The monies they raise are used to fund hiring professionals to stand up for the resource and those of us that fish around the state - in front of the legislature, and every regulatory body that makes decisions that we need to have input in.

If there’s any shortcomings they’re more on our side of the ledger. My own county has not been able to sustain a chapter (twice over the years the Broward chapter has gone inactive... I used fund raise a bit for them...).

There’s a reason that we have pretty strong protections for our gamefish - and the work the CCA has done is one of the most important... Look at our neighboring states where redfish are still allowed to be bought and sold - and where inshore netting is still allowed...

#21 ·
Guys, before you jump on CCA... do a bit of research...

The monies they raise are used to fund hiring professionals to stand up for the resource and those of us that fish around the state - in front of the legislature, and every regulatory body that makes decisions that we need to have input in.

If there’s any shortcomings they’re more on our side of the ledger. My own county has not been able to sustain a chapter (twice over the years the Broward chapter has gone inactive... I used fund raise a bit for them...).

There’s a reason that we have pretty strong protections for our gamefish - and the work the CCA has done is one of the most important... Look at our neighboring states where redfish are still allowed to be bought and sold - and where inshore netting is still allowed...
Are you saying that this is a case of "Do as I say, not as I do"?

Any kill should be discouraged. I believe you can buy plastic poker chips at Walmart and write a number on them and include this with every picture from the hundreds of phones that were present for the tournament.

I fish a charity tournament and that is how we do it and the guides will not even let you keep the non-scored sheepshead.

#18 ·
Would love to hear CCA defend their involvement in this kill everything tourney. Hopefully they have a forum representative. Prize money and fishing are two things that shouldn't be mixed. The resources are what suffers 100% of the time.

Shame on CCA for taking money under the guise of conservation. Aside from the tarpon category a rat red category is equally as atrocious. Let's promote excessive harvest of the juvenile resources that support the future of our economy and fishery. Who's the genius that though this was a good idea? You can't support or be involved with something like this and then try to convince folks you actually care. People are so short sighted it's absolutely disgusting.

#26 ·
Some of the folks on this thread must have flunked - basic reading comprehension... go back to post #7 and see what I wrote there. The CCA has obviously made a mistake here (or whoever works for them did...). As I've already said let them know in no uncertain terms that you're not going to support any outfit that thinks this sort of stuff is okay.... not one penny!

I absolutely stand by what I've said regarding the good stuff they've done (and remember each state is it's own stand-alone CCA...). We would never have come as far as we have in fisheries conservation here in Florida without the CCA (it was the FCA back when we fought for the net ban...). That's exactly why I recommended you do a bit of research before going after them like somebody who's been doing bad things to children...

In the past I've donated trips to Florida (almost every year to one chapter or other), Texas, Louisiana.. and I'll be donating a trip for auction to Alabama as well if I can figure out which chapter deserves it... All of this to aid in raising the funds to go up against the very well entrenched commercial fishery outfits - and those who'd turn our waters into sewers...

No organization is perfect - and they need our input when we see something we disagree with. You can bet that wherever this tournament was held - it wasn't in Florida. I can remember a time when that wasn't the case at all... when kill tournaments and excuses for commercials raping every resource could be heard everywhere you looked. Thank heavens we're past that point - but don't think for a minute that's the case in other states...

#31 ·
@lemaymiami - to build on what you've said, I wonder what sort of disconnect there might be between CCA-Louisiana and the overall CCA leadership and their respective positions on this.

I would not be at all surprised if the national CCA leadership is not at all pleased with CCA-LA sponsoring this shit-show but they don't have a lot of recourse in stopping it. And CCA-LA being made up of the same folks who generally want to keep 25, 12-inch trout all day, every day they don't have an issue with killing tarpon.

#37 ·
Checked with CCA National on this and learned that CCA Louisiana sponsors the youth division of this tournament and gives rods and reels to youth participants. The chapter does have anything to do with the tarpon division or the administration of the tournament.

Apparently the tarpon division is run like a billfish tournament – not many people are targeting tarpon and participants communicate to know what is on the board. Not many are actually brought to the dock with the majority released.

Certainly not condoning any tarpon or billfish kill-only tournaments. I have publicly advocated for all-release formats for 20+ years. When fish are harvested, however, on-site biologists use the opportunity to take tissue/bone samples for research and the meat is almost always donated to charity.

#45 ·
I see no reason to kill any big fish for tournaments much less fish kill tournaments or even live weigh ins. They need to go the way of the bass guys!
Look at those baby trout they weighed in...3 pounds??? You can’t find a 6 pound trout in LA if you tried. I caught a 6 1/2 pound trout today and let it go just like ALL of my big trout and didn’t cry about it.
Texas STAR tournament trout division is kill only and 8 pound minimum over a three month tournament. Over 300 trout are killed every summer just for 9 spots on the board...WEAK.
If you knew how many illiterate people kill 6-7 pound trout and try to weigh them in without even being entered or being entered and not knowing about the 8 pound minimum or not owning a weighing device...SICKENING. I’m talking 33-35 1/2” trout dead just for money. That’s not conservation. They try to cover it up with scholarships...who cares, our fishery isn’t worth raping for any form of prize. Why can’t people just go fishing for fun and kill a few now and then to eat?

#46 ·
I see no reason to kill any big fish for tournaments much less fish kill tournaments or even live weigh ins. They need to go the way of the bass guys!
Look at those baby trout they weighed in...3 pounds??? You can’t find a 6 pound trout in LA if you tried. I caught a 6 1/2 pound trout today and let it go just like ALL of my big trout and didn’t cry about it.
Texas STAR tournament trout division is kill only and 8 pound minimum over a three month tournament. Over 300 trout are killed every summer just for 9 spots on the board...WEAK.
If you knew how many illiterate people kill 6-7 pound trout and try to weigh them in without even being entered or being entered and not knowing about the 8 pound minimum or not owning a weighing device...SICKENING. I’m talking 33-35 1/2” trout dead just for money. That’s not conservation. They try to cover it up with scholarships...who cares, our fishery isn’t worth raping for any form of prize. Why can’t people just go fishing for fun and kill a few now and then to eat?
How do I like this post twice or three times!?! In this day an age with so much pressure on our resources, why are we even still having kill tournaments? Everyone complains about the fishing not being as good as it used to be or I remember when we used to (insert whatever limitless amount of fish they killed). Well no wonder. Kill tournaments every weekend in Texas for trout and reds. Heck there is a local tournament that is anything you catch. If it is big bring it in and see if you win. I was looking at pictures of some large tiger sharks hanging up with the requisite douche bag hero shot. Ignorance and selfishness are killing the resource. Even with significant stocking of trout, redfish and flounder by Texas Parks and Wildlife, the fish stocks are barely keeping up. Keep one or two for a fresh meal if you want and release everything else.

#48 ·
As mentioned above cca has individual state chapters with chapters within them. It appears as well they sponsored the youth division.

I would be really curious how many bashing cca in this post are involved in fisheries advocacy aside from social media likes etc.

I am not saying to join cca but if you are bashing their involvement in fisheries and not doing anything but complaining then shame on you. I can personally say from my experience there has been good from cca but also there have been politics which is somewhat expected in an organization of that size.

Florida specifically has multiple groups that have gained significant support recently such as captains for clean water. I couldn’t be happier to see more advocacy groups because we surely need them in Florida and everywhere else. Go get involved in any advocacy group for fishing! It will also provide a much better understanding of the political red tape (local/state gov) and the difficulties advocacy groups face.

Now only if we could have better advocacy in the hunting community!

Back to the dead tarpon....Let’s pour one out for tarambe! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.