Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 21 of 99 Posts

·
Fly-By-Night
3,182 Posts
Rat Redfish Stringer: 1, Gary Bruce, Cut Off, 36-6. 2, Ryan Bagala, Cut Off, 36-0. 3, Barry Bourgeois, Cut Off, 35-10.

I wonder if they'll run a Tarpon stringer category next year.:rolleyes:

Louisiana is basically what would happen if you made Dixie county into a State.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
It just shows how ignorant people are when money is involved. There’s nothing even close to conservation in any of their kill tournaments and that’s their middle name...if you guys saw how many hundreds of trout over 7 pounds are killed and weighed in for this POS Texas STAR tournament you’d have nightmares. People don’t even bat an eye, even guides are all about allowing clients to throw 35 1/2” trout in their cooler for money. Not on my boat...

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
We've come a long way since the days when every tarpon tournament (and all the billfish tournaments) here in Florida was a kill tournament... I still have my kill gaff (big seven foot long wooden shaft - five inch hook... ) from that era. Instead of criticizing that sort of stuff (pretty easy to do...) do a bit of research and help fund any outfit that trying to stop kill tournaments.

For anyone reading this that lives in places where kill tournaments are still common - make a point of telling anyone asking for conservation monies that they'll not get a dime if they keep on doing that sort of stuff.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read that article and went to the official website of this tournament and did not see any mention of CCA.

Would you please show where you see CCA is sponsoring this 71 year old tournament?

I am not condoning the event nor do I support all actions of CCA, but I really dislike when accuses others without merit. When you post the proof of their sponsorship I will remove this post.
On the tournament home page there is a sponsor banner at the bottom. CCA La is listed there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
To start, we need to limit the number of tournaments period. Make it like a draw system that is done for hunting public lands. Then make the a photo and release tournament. Can you imagine running a cattle ranch and killing your best bulls and cows as fast as you can???
HB has a tournament in Rockport that is photo and release and it fun and for the most part no fish are killed.
If we don't start doing something now we all know what's coming. More new fishermen and no more NEW Water.
And by the way CCA is for profit company. Yes they have done some god but they are still about profits. Just think about the money they make at the banquets!! Most people don't know that.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Guys, before you jump on CCA... do a bit of research...

The monies they raise are used to fund hiring professionals to stand up for the resource and those of us that fish around the state - in front of the legislature, and every regulatory body that makes decisions that we need to have input in.

If there’s any shortcomings they’re more on our side of the ledger. My own county has not been able to sustain a chapter (twice over the years the Broward chapter has gone inactive... I used fund raise a bit for them...).

There’s a reason that we have pretty strong protections for our gamefish - and the work the CCA has done is one of the most important... Look at our neighboring states where redfish are still allowed to be bought and sold - and where inshore netting is still allowed...

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Would love to hear CCA defend their involvement in this kill everything tourney. Hopefully they have a forum representative. Prize money and fishing are two things that shouldn't be mixed. The resources are what suffers 100% of the time.

Shame on CCA for taking money under the guise of conservation. Aside from the tarpon category a rat red category is equally as atrocious. Let's promote excessive harvest of the juvenile resources that support the future of our economy and fishery. Who's the genius that though this was a good idea? You can't support or be involved with something like this and then try to convince folks you actually care. People are so short sighted it's absolutely disgusting.

1 - 21 of 99 Posts