Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fished a Hatch gen 2 5 plus mid arbor? I'm looking for a new light 7wt saltwater reel and am interested in the backing amount. Hatch's website says the mid arbor holds 100 yards of hatch backing with a 7wt line which seems low to me. I have a 5plus mid arbor gen 1 and it holds 180 yards with 7wt line. Thanks

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think I’ve got close to 150yds with a large arbor and 6wt line, I’ve found their listings to be fairly conservative.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd call Hatch on that....I would think you should be able to get more of the Hatch PE (68 lb) backing on the mid arbor than that. I like the 5+ for a 7 weight as well...have other Hatch Gen 2s and love em.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As always, line choice is a huge variable too. I fish Airflo almost exclusively and many of their lines do seem to be thicker than other makers.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd call Hatch on that....I would think you should be able to get more of the Hatch PE (68 lb) backing on the mid arbor than that. I like the 5+ for a 7 weight as well...have other Hatch Gen 2s and love em.
ya think I'm going to have too...everything I've read says only 100 and my fly shop does have a mid arbor so they don't know...thanks for the reply

·
I Love microskiff.com!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As always, line choice is a huge variable too. I fish Airflo almost exclusively and many of their lines do seem to be thicker than other makers.
ya i use their ridgeclear. the gen 1 holds 180 with that...doesn't really seem right to drop that much backing capacity. Going to have to reach out to Hatch...Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't hold me to this, but I have collected Hatch's yearly booklet for a number of years now (they are one of the few that take pride in putting out a nice catalog every year with some additional cool articles within) and seem to remember comparing numbers a few years ago and noticing some differences year to year with regard to backing capacities. I don't believe any of the arbor dimensions changed, but I'm guessing they opted to go more conservative so peeps won't be frustrated when loading up. Just guessing here....

·
Practice catch and release.
191 Posts
I have two 5 mid arbor on 7wts, and like you the backing estimate is conservative. I’ve got 150 yds of the hatch premium on them and there is still space to work.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Has anyone fished a Hatch gen 2 5 plus mid arbor? I'm looking for a new light 7wt saltwater reel and am interested in the backing amount. Hatch's website says the mid arbor holds 100 yards of hatch backing with a 7wt line which seems low to me. I have a 5plus mid arbor gen 1 and it holds 180 yards with 7wt line. Thanks
no difference in the gen 1 and 2 5+ I have Both. 5+ is my perfect match for the 7 wt method for light weight salt work

1 - 10 of 10 Posts