has anyone used 3/4" CCA Treated Plywood for decking on a jon boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by lawnservice321, Jun 25, 2012.

1. lawnservice321

lawnservice321 I Love microskiff.com!

I need to re-do my decks on my jon boat and really don't want to mess with glassing over plywood. I'm wondering if I could just use some of the cca treated plywood that they use on pontoon boats instead? Also, does anyone know of a place to get it locally in Brevard County or close by? thanks

2. cvilt

cvilt I Love microskiff.com!

I used 1/2" on my john boat with 2x4s ripped in 1/2 glued and screwed it was fine for years. I got it at the lumber yard. You should find it at HD or Lowes

3. fishinjeff

fishinjeff Well-Known Member

Same here. Lasted about 5 years with a light resin coating and carpet.

4. lawnservice321

Did you both just use exterior grade plywood?

5. cvilt

cvilt I Love microskiff.com!

I used untreared yellow pine 2x and regular plywood. If you coat it and seal the ends good you should get several years out of it.

6. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Take a look at some MDO - it is used to make outdoor signs - has a much nicer finish.

7. Puertoricoinshore

Puertoricoinshore dont just fish fly fish!!!!!!

Just be sure to use a outdoor carpet with rubber under and the plywood will work for a longgg time. (home depot)

8. lawnservice321

I got some exterior grade ac from a local lumber yard, lowes and home depot didnt have anything worth a damn. That marine plywood is some good looking stuff but too pricey for my jon boat. I'm coating it with spar varnish and oil base paint. No carpet just a coat of shark grip on it. If it lasts a couple years thats all I can ask for.

9. marshman

marshman just try to follow me....i dare ya...

i have 1/2 inch treated ply ( the regular old green pressure treated pine stuff) for the floor in my tunnel boat.. its been in there baking in the sun and getting wet when fishing, or rain for about 6 or maybe 7 years now...its just now starting to get kinda brittle on the edges...ill get another season out of it though..

if you can, i suggest letting it get good and dry before putting it in your boat...when wet from the store its heavy....

i havent been to the lumber store in a while but i dont think they sell the green pressure treated ply anymore...i think its some other kinda treating they do nowdays...not sure how it holds up...

10. marshman

marshman just try to follow me....i dare ya...

fwiw...not to discourage or anything....just for information purposes..

i built a little puddle boat out of 3/8 exterior ac ply... glassed over it with just polyester resin and mat glass from lowes...primed with latex kilz and painted with exterior paint.. its about 2 years old now i guess...its been 100% out in the weather with no protection whatsoever...some of the corners that had the glass/resin chipped off from dragging it around are pretty rotted...the rest is for the most part still structurally sound...i would still get in it right now...it doesnt leak or anything..

my point being...if you protect some regular ext ac with something itll last for a couple years..

11. Snookdaddy

Snookdaddy Well-Known Member

I would not use Pressure Treated Plywood on an aluminum boat. Today, 98% of "treated" plywood is made with ACQ (Alkaline, Copper, Quat) and is highly corrosive to anything Aluminum. You nice Aluminum skiff will corrode!

In addition, resin will not bond to pressure treated lumber nearly as well as untreated lumber.. Treated lumber is not a good choice for boats.

I have 22 years in the wholesale lumber trade, so I know a little bit about pressure treated lumber.

12. chuckm310

chuckm310 I Love microskiff.com!

You do not need anything heavier than 1/4 in plywood for a deck. If it makes you feel better glass a couple of stringers to the underside of the deck running fore and aft. Keep it light if you can. All Gheenoes and made with 1/4 inch decks.