Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have an opportunity to buy a brand new 11 or 12 weight Hardy Zephrus for around $380. I was originally looking at a Colton Leviathan as a backup tarpon rod. The Zephrus would mean paying about $150 more. However, the Zephrus may become my go to rod, not the backup. I still need to cast it. Does anyone have any experience with this rod that they care to share?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think its a great deal. I love the 5/6/9 I have. I had a 12 but got rid of it since I never used it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have 6-8-10. They are great rods. I have not thrown the 12 but my 10 is a blast. I think they are a rod that does not get a lot of love because they are made over seas and I get that but they cast very nice and are very strong.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Guys, I have an opportunity to buy a brand new 11 or 12 weight Hardy Zephrus for around $380. I was originally looking at a Colton Leviathan as a backup tarpon rod. The Zephrus would mean paying about $150 more. However, the Zephrus may become my go to rod, not the backup. I still need to cast it. Does anyone have any experience with this rod that they care to share?
buy them both if you can. If you can only swing one, buy the 11. They’re a great rod.

Reactions: Scott Kor

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m with Backwater. I could use a 12wt.
Randall, (and Backwater) I totally would, but he is a close friend with an "in" at Hardy that he doesn't want to abuse. I appreciate your feedback though. That helps a lot with my confidence in buying something that I don't have a lot of knowledge about. If I could get my money back for every rod that I have bought without the proper feedback, I could buy a new skiff!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I one piece rods are faster then the 4 piece and are as close to unbreakable as you are going to get. I did fold a 4 piece up like a pretzel clearing a trolling motor when a dolphin ate my lady fish I had hooked up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Personally I would pay a little more for the Hardy, I have the 7, 8, and the 10 all great casting rods. The 10 feels like you are fishing a 8wt (due to how light in weight the rod feels) throws a 10wt weight line with precision. They are excellent, you rarely will hear someone complain about the tapers on Hardy rods. I will say they like standard line weights best, so if have you a 14wt line with a 12 wt label (common these days like a SA titan line) it will not perform excellent on the rod.

I fished the twelve recently it was similar where if felt like lower line weight rod in the hand. I was not casting the 12 very far (35' casts of T-10 to reds under the boat offshore) so I cant comment how well it will throw a standard line 60'. We were also fishing the ugly stick 10/11, which tells you how much casting perfection really mattered.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Personally I would pay a little more for the Hardy, I have the 7, 8, and the 10 all great casting rods. The 10 feels like you are fishing a 8wt (due to how light in weight the rod feels) throws a 10wt weight line with precision. They are excellent, you rarely will hear someone complain about the tapers on Hardy rods. I will say they like standard line weights best, so if have you a 14wt line with a 12 wt label (common these days like a SA titan line) it will not perform excellent on the rod.

I fished the twelve recently it was similar where if felt like lower line weight rod in the hand. I was not casting the 12 very far (35' casts of T-10 to reds under the boat offshore) so I cant comment how well it will throw a standard line 60'. We were also fishing the ugly stick 10/11, which tells you how much casting perfection really mattered.
Great info. I value these opinions. I will spend the extra and get an 11wt. Thank you to all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts