'Hammer or H.O.

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by FlyFish7, Dec 29, 2012.

1. FlyFish7

FlyFish7 I Love microskiff.com!

Along with my search for a new boat (either a skiff or Bass boat), I am looking for experiences with the 4-Stroke Yamaha engines and the E'Rude E-Tec HO outboards.

I have been a life long Yamaha guy and I loved the HPDI and the new SHO is incredible. My experience with the HO is basically non-existant, other than knowing a few folks who have had nothing but issues with them on their Bass boats in 225 and 250 sizes.

Based on the skiffs that I am looking at, I am looking at an outboard between 115 and 150. I have been hearing good things about the HO in those sizes on skiffs, but I also know the 'Hammer is a tried and true design that a lot of guys use! I would imagine fuel consumption and oil burn would be fairly close with either engine. Staying a Yamaha guy wouldn't bother me and would be quite easy. That being said, the HO does interest me and I may have a go with it if all is right!

I look forward to your experiences with these engines!

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Whats a hammer? :-?

3. FlyFish7

Have been know in the past as Yamahammers! Just another name for Yamaha!

4. cutrunner

Im a yammie tech and ive never heard that lol. Then again i dont work on bass boats. Whole other realm i guess.

Hold on, you "liked your hpdi??"
    Thats rare

5. FlyFish7

I did. Great hole shot and plenty of top end. But again, it was the world of Bass!

The SHO is a beast too!

Hows your expernience with the four strokes? That is the way I am leaning for the skiff (95% freshwater use), but the E-Tec HO in White is sexy and clean looking on a skiff!

6. cutrunner

Honestly i like the four strokes 150hp and up, anything under that and they suck imo. But the new f70 is a really good motor, and i would own one on my personal skiff but $8k is just a lot for a 70 imo.

Whatever motor you choose, you can paint
    Its spreading like wildfire around the marinas down south. There must be a hundred white yamahas and verados in the marina

7. FlyFish7

Hahahah.....a white beast called a Verado! Love it! Yep, I am not a Merc. fan and boy that Verado is a tank. I have to admit though, the Pro XS in 225 and 250 is one of the best sounding engines.....ever! Love the growl at idle and the roar during hole shot is pretty! But still, a white Verado, I have to see that.

8. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

The world of bass boats is completely foreign to me. I understand their needs but nothing in that world relates to my needs as a guide. I go day after day and am totally dependent on a motor that's reliable, relatively low cost (maintenance wise) and as light weight as possible in a given horsepower. Given a choice I'd avoid any motor that's being touted for it's high end performance.... but that's just me. I know there's a market for them but not as a working motor since every down day for me has a heavy cost...

I'd highly recommend any mid range E-Tec any day as power that just won't let you down. I'm on my third E-Tec 90 now (my last one was at 2700 hours and still running when we pulled it last August). The "new" motor already is nearing 150 hours. Everything I hear and see about the 115, 130, and 150 motors is just as good. Can't speak about the bigger ones since I just don't know anything about them....

I'm probably a bit biased towards Johnrudes since they're all I've ever had (from 1973....).

9. cutrunner

When i get back to work on the second i'll snap you a picture.
    Its a 42ft hydra sport with quad 350hp sci verados painted white.

10. jms

jms don't let common sense get in your way

11. FlyFish7

As we have touched on a bit in this thread, the world of Bass boats is totally different! It is all about flashy boats, top end performance, the latest and greatest, bling and chasing something that really isn't out there! Hell, I know someone who just picked up the newest Ranger, put two MinnKota Talons on it, 3 - 10" Hummingbird graphs and some other things.....retail cost when all is said and done.....over $80K :-? :mad: :'(

Rediculous for a 21' boat with a 250 on it. I know big salt boats run BIG money, but for a 21' Bass boat, just dumb!

I am seriously going to look at the E'Rude, but in an H.O. I have been hearing more and more good things about it and I will definately take a look at it. If the performance numbers and fuel and oil burn are similar to a Yamaha, the decision will be more difficult! I know a LOT of 225 and 250 Rudes that have blown, but have not hear mucha bout this in the lower horsepower motors!

12. cutrunner

13. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

I don't like the F150 Yamaha never have, 4 cycl. 150hp are a desgin flaw, and they wouldn't exsits if it wasn't for the EPA, they lack the power of V6 150.

If i was in the market for a 115-150hp and weight was a concern Merc 115 Pro XS hands down the baddest 115 on the market. Very reliable engine as well, haven't had much warranty work on them.

Then the 150hp E-tech, followed by the F150

14. jms

15. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

[movedhere] General Discussion [move by] iMacattack.

16. cutrunner

17. Creek Runner

18. cutrunner

^ says the merc technician :p

19. jms

only know what i've seen,buddy of mine owns a fishing website - his verado's were replaced by merc,after constant failures - another gentleman i know has had a loooong list of failures on his verados...

my shop:no way,don't work on them for anything - including oil n filter changes - treat them like kryptonite...

20. Creek Runner

I'm a certified Yamaha and Suzuki tech as well!!! :p I love all engines! ;D