h-60 transom material?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by SilentHunter, Oct 13, 2014.

1. SilentHunter

SilentHunter Resin Slinger

i have a ton of it laying around plenty for my transom can i sandwhich 2 1/2 sheets together hot coat it mat inbetween then putty it in my 14 johnson? going with a 25 mercury tiller... 2 layers of 1708 and a layer of 1.5 chopmat ontop. should i use pvc board for "nailers" to thru bolt the motor, smart tabs, shit like that? im concerned the h-60 might "crush" when thru bolting something or not have enough bite when screwing in stuff? your thoughts please. the wood has got to go and i need to get on this now.

2. SilentHunter

Nobody huh? Is everyone a lurker or are we here to build boats?

3. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

WRONG FORUM SUB-SECTION

4. Thomas1

Thomas1 I Love microskiff.com!

I think h-60 is about 4lb density which is not good for transoms. 15lb density would be appropriate and some would sugest 25LB. The density is to prevent the bolts from pulling through. That said, enough glass on each side and a light outboard might be OK. But that is just a maybe.

5. NoeSmyrnaBch

NoeSmyrnaBch Well-Known Member

I'm with Tommy on this one. Why chance it and have to worry about it?

I used AquaPlas V from Piedmont plastics in my rebuild and the stuff is insanely strong. Would use again for sure.

6. SilentHunter

It was just a thought. I just had a bunch laying around but I'll use it on my livewell or something insted. There's wood transom there now I don't wanna have to cut it out, but seeing how I'm using nidacore and all composites in this build I'll use the h60 for my console/livewell. Gotta get half sheet of 3/4 pvcboard I'll use for my transom then. I'm open to ideas cheapiest way to do a transom using polyester and 1708.

7. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Before buying the pvc board - check with the mfg to ensure poly will adhere and specifically which kind of poly.

Cheapest way is plywood...permanent way is coosa board.

8. Shalla Wata Rider

Shalla Wata Rider Well-Known Member

Hey Free, I use it on the sides of the transom with some coosa down the middle...give me a shout ...I may have enough laying around to do yours. PM me if you lost my number.

9. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician