Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Gurgler Variations

4228 Views 45 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  TidewateR
I’ve been messing around with gurglers lately, and using the search function I didn’t notice anything that stood out for this-what style do you prefer? From what I’ve noticed there seems there are three main types, a single layer of foam tied tight to the hook, a double layer (folded over) tied tight to the hook, and both a single or double layer with the back end bowed off the shank with the front tied tight.
Does each pattern do something different/perform differently or is there a benefit to any particular style that you have noticed?
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

· Registered
344 Posts
Where do you find the foam dumbell/ hour-glass shaped piece you have the eyes glued to?
Not sure exactly what the OP is using but what you describe sounds like Rainy's Boobie Eyes:

· Registered
482 Posts
It's not a gurgler, but another option is to make a head out of fettucine foam (or any thin strips of craft foam) like Drew Chicone's Tuscan bunny. Put whatever type of tail/body you want and stack the foam strips and trim them as you do deer hair. I tied one for grown up sized jacks and the foam head floated the heavy hook much better than I thought it would.

Flower Plant Petal Feather dandelion

· Registered
86 Posts
Sweet looking frog.
Where do you find the foam dumbell/ hour-glass shaped piece you have the eyes glued to? I have tried to find something similar for a year to now avail.... need it for a pattern I got from someone at the boat ramp... and it works great.
Ole Florida fly shop. They are “boobie” dumbbell eyes. You can also just get Eva foam dowels and cut them for much cheaper.

· will pole for food
1,118 Posts
I tied a few mouse style gurglers for AK and have used the flies for redfish and bass too. I've had spotted bass blow it up, but haven't landed one yet. Hope to get a bass on it this spring. I used the "Master Splinter" recipe to tie up. Moorish Mouse is another popular style.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts