Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my gunnels have heavy oxidation and some cracking. Any ideas how to correct this? Products and process for a noob? See pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
Hard to really tell from the pics whether it’s paint or gelcoat. But here is my take on it... needs to be stripped down with 60-80 grit and re done! Nothing will bring that back to a nice finish!

If gelcoat, was either applied too thin or over reduced and applied too thin, and or done in direct sunlight!
If paint, I’m guessing a one part and or oil based product again done in the sunlight.
Both paint and gelcoat the surface prep was probably sub standard as well. Sorry, but all I have for you IMO is it needs stripped and redone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
Would evercoat one step premium gelcoat or Petit EZpoxy work for this?

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
Thanks!
Would evercoat one step premium gelcoat or Petit EZpoxy work for this?
You are in Florida. Find a supplier such as Fiberglass coatings, Fiberglass Florida, Etc... and go buy your materials from them. No, I would not recommend either of the products listed. That’s a whole lotta work to go through to try to save a couple pennies on materials. If paint I would go with a quality 2k urethane over an epoxy primer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are in Florida. Find a supplier such as Fiberglass coatings, Fiberglass Florida, Etc... and go buy your materials from them. No, I would not recommend either of the products listed. That’s a whole lotta work to go through to try to save a couple pennies on materials. If paint I would go with a quality 2k urethane over an epoxy primer.

Ok great ! I’ll reach out to them. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts