Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Q: Do guides dislike clear-tip lines?

I am looking at a 11wt line and there are two lines that standout for me, for the head and rear taper, as I look for my idea taper of 5' tip, 10' head, and slow 20' rear taper.

1. Cortland Liquid Crystal Tarpon Taper
+ colour lined - but blue, I would have preferred a sand
- short tip - 3'
+ overall profile - 3', 7', 31'

2. Airflo Short Clear Tip
+- clear tip - I am good with the clear tip, my wife less so - guides?
+ shorter leader for turn over
- overall profile - 6', 20', 25'

·
Registered
852 Posts
Every guide is different. I usually ask the guide ahead of the trip and switch it accordingly.

Keys this time of year prob most are going to want a clear tip, most other places / times i think guides prefer to be able to see the line

·
Registered
882 Posts
The important thing is to be able to see the fly. If you can still see the fly no problem with a clear tip then go for it. The best anglers I have fished with can see the fly before I can and that is key to their success. I can cast farther than I can see the fly and that doesn't really do me any good, at least not sight fishing. The idea as I understand is to fish the fly to the fish, if you can't see the fly how are you gonna make sure fish sees it?

·
Registered
859 Posts
We talking fishing guides? Or guides on a rod? For me, if you like clear line, no problem, I am lucky as I can see clear just as easy as I can see a standard colored floating line. I know that is not the case for everyone but as with any angler/guide duo, communication is everything, and a little goes a long way.

If we are talking rod guide, the only issue I have see is the Liquid Crystal Cortland lines and the regular(not black pvd) Recoil guides don't get along that well.

·
Sight Fishing South Florida
834 Posts
The important thing is to be able to see the fly. If you can still see the fly no problem with a clear tip then go for it. The best anglers I have fished with can see the fly before I can and that is key to their success. I can cast farther than I can see the fly and that doesn't really do me any good, at least not sight fishing. The idea as I understand is to fish the fly to the fish, if you can't see the fly how are you gonna make sure fish sees it?
This!!!!! Seeing the fly is more important.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,577 Posts
I've never asked a guide about what fly line i can use. Of course i never caught a fish with them either

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you - my preferred guide in the Bahamas is easy going, and if I told him I was using a clear tip, he would say "sure mon". But if listen carefully and ask "softly", you will get his preference. In his case, he rather see the line, as he judges when he says "drop it".

I prefer DIY (for the sense of self accomplishment), but we do use fishing guides.

The funny thing on spotting - Judy (the wife) sees the fish before I, but I can track the fly further out. Go figure!

I thinkn I am going with the Cortland Line.

·
Reel Florida Fishing Charters
277 Posts
Rio Flats Pro with the Stealth Tip is the way to go. This is hands down the preferred Poon line of choice here in Crystal River and Homosassa. The line is some what brightly colored to the point where even a blind man can see his line.

Give it a shot. You won't be sorry.

And make sure you have a brief conversation with your guide regarding lines. Every guide is different and every area is different. A brief conversation could make the difference between a good day or bad.

Not to mention you can take away one of a guides favorite excuses if the fishing is slow.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
474 Posts
The Monic Henley Clear Phantom Tip is a nice line. I put a #11 on a TFO Axiom II twelve weight and it handeled and balanced perfect. No coiling, roll casts a good distance with ease and the clear tip actually floats. I don't care for or use overweight lines.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you like that liquid crystal tarpon taper but don't want the blue color check out the tropic plus tarpon line. Same taper but green.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts