Guesstimating pitch on a 30hp Yammi

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by SWFL_Gheenoe, Dec 29, 2017.

1. RunningOnEmpty

RunningOnEmpty I Love microskiff.com!

Show me a picture of the spark plugs before wasting money on a prop.

2. SWFL_Gheenoe

SWFL_Gheenoe Active Member

Top is top cylinder, middle is middle cylinder and bottom is... you guessed it :p

Im not a plug genius, so please tell me that this is my problem!

Attached Files:

3. RunningOnEmpty

My old 30hp plugs always had a light brown color like your bottom plug. All 3 always looked the same unless I had a dirty carb. Are those plugs fairly new?

4. SWFL_Gheenoe

Yep. about 10 hours on them.
    Im thinking of asking my local shop about the possibility of tuning the carbs. Could that be the difference?

5. RunningOnEmpty

The low speed mix screws could be out? Did you check the fuel pump and clean the carbs properly?

6. SWFL_Gheenoe

No clue where the low speed mix screws would be - but I’ll ask. And yes, cleaned the pump w/new gaskets and carbs cleaned

7. RunningOnEmpty

Did you remove the high and low speed jets along with the orifice tubes? Sometimes everything needs a soaking in carb cleaner to get them clean or a ultra sonic cleaner. The adjustment screws are on the top left side of each carb. It's a small flat head screw with a spring behind it. I would mark them and then gently run them in until they stop. Do not force them in! Count the turns as you go. I think a good starting point is 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns out from lightly seated. Those screws should've been removed during the cleaning process.

8. RunningOnEmpty

This isn't a good example because it's a different motor, but it's helpful.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  9. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

I would have gone to a prop guy by now. I have no patience for things limiting my fishing time.

10. SWFL_Gheenoe

Ahaha this was by no means limiting my fishing time - the boat scoots along just fine with the current prop, I was just trying to figure out where the other RPMs went.

Im currently limited right now by my truck anyways... Broke down yesterday, with symptoms of either a bad crank position sensor or a clogged IPR screen.... yay ._.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  11. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

Good luck getting that CKP sensor out. I’m about to replace mine too. Guessing you have a 6.0...

12. SWFL_Gheenoe

Got a call from the shop today... Leaky STC fitting ._.
    I Love love LOVE my truck, but it left me stranded for the first time yesterday, so were gonna have a talk when it gets back from getting fixed :p

Smackdaddy53 likes this.