Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a long shot (or not) but, any of you guys been up that way fly fishing this year? We will be heading up there the 1st for a few days and was hoping I could get a little info on what people are having luck with.

I’ve tied up some egg patterns, San Juan worms and a few small streamer style baitfish and leech patterns because I have material that I can make those work with. I’ll probably end up hitting up some of the shops and talking/buying from them too because I don’t have the material, skill or frankly the “want to” to tie small trout flies. Lol. I just would like an idea to walk in with.

Thanks guys.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,063 Posts
I have never fished it for trout but my buddy lives close and said there are some stud brown trout there. I had no idea there were actually trout guides and outfitters there being that they are not native to that area.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never fished it for trout but my buddy lives close and said there are some stud brown trout there. I had no idea there were actually trout guides and outfitters there being that they are not native to that area.
I’ve seen some good ones caught of of there. We used to fish it a lot growing up and my sister caught one that was, I believe, 22” or 23”. That was a long time ago though and on a pink rooster tail. Ive only fished it once in the last 4 or 5 years so I’m kinda out of the game. Lol

Go here: http://www.grtu.org/newsletter/ you can also view the fly tying video series. What I hear is Hares Ears,Midges, Scuds, streamers, Egg type Patterns, Wolly Buggers, San Juan Worms.
Thanks buddy. I’ll check it out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Had some friends just out there this week and they all had nice fish. I've always had luck with pink or cream sucker eggs and weighted san juans. Some people really like to fish streamers in the current and seem to do well.

·
Registered
1999 Whipray, 2017 Tohatsu MFS50
733 Posts
GRTU buys and stocks those stud Browns out of a hatchery in Missouri. There are some good ones. There are also some monster Stripers that have been getting fat off the Rainbows. I'd rather snag one of those.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve heard of big stripers being caught under the dam in the summer in the past but not much else on them. It would be a fun ride. Lol

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe head over to the outfitters in Greune and ask which flies they recommend at that time before you hit the river?!
I plan on hitting up acouple shops when I roll in to town. I just like to have a game plan when I get there.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Be sure and check the flow rate. 764 CFS right now is a VERY tough wade. Sometimes takes 10-14 days to get down below 400 which is much more comfortable and safe.

https://www.gbra.org/conditions/data.aspx. Look at the Guadalupe / Sattler gauge.

Stop by Action Angler on River Road for current fly recommendations. Good folks there.

·
Mount Pleasant, SC
192 Posts
Used to love fishing there when I lived in SA!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts