Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy

Im starting to prepare for my first Christmas Island trip in February. What are your favorite GT hooks? Looking at Gama SL12s, Varivas 2600, Owner Aki or Kona Big Game.

Thanks!

Bob

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Hands down the Owner Aki (Aki translates to Yellowfin tuna...)- and tie up your flies in several sizes since the GT isn't the only trevally you might encounter there... It's been a few years since I've filled orders for GT anglers (my last was for one of my regulars going to the Seychelles.... ). All he ever used was my Tarpon Snake in a few wild colors -along with the standard all black, red/black, fl. green/white, etc.

Go to this thread https://www.microskiff.com/threads/dredging-rod.65590/ and check out post #10 for a few pics of the Snake... I'd want them in mostly size 4/0 (maybe 5/0 if the fish are all monsters...) and some matching ones tied smaller on 2/0 hooks... Expect to lose almost every fly that a big one eats -then goes screaming for the drop-off....

Let us know how your trip works out - there will be plenty of readers... to save time - I'm no longer doing any commercial tying -but I'll be glad to answer any questions about materials and tying steps for the Snake...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Capt Bob, found this in one of my old threads and figured I'd post here to save you some time.

"The Tarpon Snake is one of my signature patterns and I've been drawing royalties on it from Umpqua Feather Merchants for some years (the black version, mostly...). Because Umpqua has it - any shop that deals with them will be able to get them for you.... That said, here's the materials list and a bit of tying info for you...

Hook, 4/0 ( a smaller version is done on a 2/0...) Owner Aki or Tiemco 600sp
or any very sharp, 2x strong hook...

Thread, Danville's flat waxed nylon, color to match the last color on the fly at the nose...

Eyes, large bead chain (in hardware stores ask for "plumbers' chain" - it's also the size chain used on vertical blind controls

Tail, 8 large, wide, webby saddles (I start with 6- 7" strung saddles - these days a bit hard to find good quality..). They'll be tied in four on a side, Deceiver style, right in front of the hook bend

Flash, Flashabou accent in pearl (occasionally I also add a few strands of regular Flashabou - also in pearl)

Body, Using the same saddles (three or four, handled as a unit) I leave as much of the "fluff" as possible on each saddle then tie all of them in by the butt and palmer forward to complete.

Tying instructions:

Chuck up your hook in standard position (these bugs need magnum jaws if your vise has them...). Start thread about 1/8" behind the hook eye, then figure eight large bead chain eyes into place so they are at least an eye's width to the rear of the hook eye. After four or five "figure eights" use a tailor's button trick and do four or five turns under the eyes (between the eyes and the hook shank) to lock them into place - then add a tiny drop of super glue (I like Krazy Glue from the small plastic tube and use as little as possible...)

Now wrap the thread loosely to the rear of the shank and tie in the eight saddle tail as a single unit on the last straight portion of the hook shank before the bend... Once the tail is in place add 10 to 14 strands of flash (doubling the flash around the barrel of your tying bobbin then sliding it into place along the side of the tail on each side). Make sure you stagger the ends of the flash by 1/2 to 3/4" before sliding them in place...

Once the tail is done add a tiny drop of super glue to the thread... Now take two or three of the same color saddles (bright white for a fl green and white fly...), tie in by their butts leaving as much of the "fluff" on each saddle then palmer forward to the eyes, where you'll tie off those saddles --then snap off the tips, then move the thread to the other side of the eyes and, using two wide, webby saddles (color of choice in this case fl. green...) and repeat what you've already done, palmering them to the hook eye, then end by snapping off the tips (after catching them with a few turns of thread - then build up a small head with thread, then whip finish to end with a tiny drop of super to lock it down. No head cement needed....

Note - I always tie in a wire weedguard with this pattern but left if off here to keep it simple."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts