Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BBA Counselor
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was always unhappy with the battery tray on my last boat. It was one of those boxes held down with a strap and plastic clips. I ended up srewing it directly down but still was not happy with it. I wanted something that held the battery itself and didn't allow it to bounce around inside. So I bought this and it seems great for what I wanted.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&partNumber=2235562&langId=-1

Just one issue, my batter is a group 29 I bought from walmart. It's an everstart maxx and has served me well and is nice and cheap to replace when need be. It is about 1/2" too big for the tray and I can't seem to find a decent tray to fit it.

So I guess my question is where can I get a good battery tray for it, or where can I get a group 27 dual purpose battery as cheap, and with as good a warranty, as walmart?

·
BBA Counselor
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has the great microskiff community let me down??? Say it isn't so :eek:

·
Living & Dying in 3/4 Time
2,558 Posts

·
BBA Counselor
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having the alternator on the motor definately helps, I've never even come close to running down my group 29 battery. However I do like the added protection and since I'm going with a bigger trolling motor and a TnT unit I don't want to go less then the group 27.

The tray you found is all I could find myself for a group 29 battery too. I worry about the strap, not sure what to do. Do I go with the cheaper tray, or buy a new battery?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read some reviews and many say the plastic buckle snapped and there batteries flopped on there sides. Looks like I'm buying a new group 27.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,820 Posts
i've used the same trays that gramps has linked for years on many different boats and have never had a problem with them, if i need another one thats the one i'll get :)

·
BBA Counselor
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ultimately found a tray I like at a shop around here. It's not quite as nice as the first one I had, but it does had plastic screw rods and a top cover.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
FC, have you thought of making a custom one out of starboard?

-T

·
BBA Counselor
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was going to be my next step, either using starboard or another large cutting board (worked great for a transom plate last time).

If this tray falls apart I'll probably do just that, hopefully it will work out though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts