Green Flash - ever see one?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kemo, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Kemo

Kemo The world is flat....and shallow.

About thirty years ago, I heard about this phenomenon and saw a photo of one in a boating magazine.  I looked several times when I was on a "left" coast and conditions were good.  While in San Diego recently I finally got to see one.  I looked at a lot of photos on the intardnet but none of them really do it justice.  This topic is not really very far "Off Topic" as they are most often seen by boaters.  If you've never looked for one, you should.  Check out these sites.  The one from Sarasota is like the one I saw, but I can tell you it is much brighter in person.

http://www.atoptics.co.uk/atoptics/gfim4.htm

http://www.atoptics.co.uk/atoptics/gf1.htm

Kemo  :cool:

2. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

I was born in Sarasota, and have lived here all my life. I even work on the beach. And every time I see the sunset I look for this, and I have yet to see it. I heard about it when I was really little, got told it was because of all the polution in the air... :-/

3. Kemo

Kemo The world is flat....and shallow.

Keep looking. It's worth it. Low humidity is very important, but rare.

Kemo :cool:

4. stickwaver

stickwaver Hammer in my hand still pounding on a screw

Growing up on the shores of Lake Michigan I always watched for one, but I've never seen one. Still watch every chance I get. Thanks for sharing the site though... very cool.

5. krash

krash Well-Known Member

Growing up in the 60's and 70's I think I remember seeing a few, but I don't remember, now when I see them I'm thinking flashbacks.

6. OSWLD

OSWLD Don't Float the Mainstream

i saw one when sailing in the Bahamas when i was 13. very cool.