Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to get a custom grab bar made and trying to figure out a set up or design. What’s everyone doing and what are the do’s and do nots for set ups

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
In general, I loathe, grab bars on tiller boats (although my Spear had a coffin box with a grab bar). My build will have a wide open cockpit. Among other things I want the ability to camp in the boat overnight. In order of likelihood, I'm considering the following.

1) stick with a handheld (all I have ever had)

2) or maybe do something similar to @sjrobin. He has a balzout mount on his platform that he can read while running and standing up. He might can read it seated as well, I'm not sure.

3) mount a grab bar to the gunnel

·
Registered
422 Posts
I had one from Fishmaster on my 14' skiff, and putting the same one on my Gheenoe. I bolt a 2"x2" aluminum angle across the legs and attach a 12"x9" piece of 1/2" Starboard to it as a shelf. I make sure there's enough clearance to swivel the GPS. You can drill some holes in the Starboard to hold pliers and whatever fish grabber you use, and I even recessed a cupholder into the last one I did. Works great.

It's removable, which is great when you need to flip the boat over for something, but the connection point gets a little wobbly after a few years. I made "splints" out of PVC pipe that snapped over the joint and then attached it with stainless hose clamps. I'll be doing the same for the current one if I ever finish my Gheenoe remodel.

https://fishmaster.com/t-top-accessories/fishing-platforms-and-rails.html

·
I Love microskiff.com!
702 Posts
I've got one mounted to my gunnel. Ive had one mounted in the center of my SM1444. I thought I wouldn't like the gunnel mounted version and I actually prefer it. More room in the cockpit plus it brings the GPS closer to me and where I sit.
View media item 1043
You can see my sealevel stripping bucket bungee'd to the grab bar. Only when I have the stripping bucket there does it become cumbersome to pull and stow rods. Otherwise no issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got one mounted to my gunnel. Ive had one mounted in the center of my SM1444. I thought I wouldn't like the gunnel mounted version and I actually prefer it. More room in the cockpit plus it brings the GPS closer to me and where I sit.
View media item 1043
You can see my sealevel stripping bucket bungee'd to the grab bar. Only when I have the stripping bucket there does it become cumbersome to pull and stow rods. Otherwise no issues.
I like that set up. I’d have to do a center or off center as I don’t have walk arounds on my boat. I appreciate everyone’s feedback

1 - 6 of 6 Posts