Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 18ft aluminum polar craft that used to be a duck boat. My plan is to turn it into a flounder gigging/shrimping/shallow fly fishing boat. I removed the small console and put on a Yamaha 40 hp tiller. Jred is making me a tiller extension, and I'm going to put a large cooler longways down the center. I was thinking about having the local aluminum shop bend me a grab bar to put at the end of the cooler. My question is how tall are your grab bars? Thanks for any input.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
142 Posts
One of my hulls is a Hyde driftboat with knee/leaning braces. Hopefully, I'll have the new leaning post back next week for the 1648 modvee, will post pictures.

It's adjustable up and down and does't spin, slips into a standard floor mount. Built on a standard seat post with a "collar" for the knee/leg yoke. Can be removed and stowed with press of a tab.

A site sponsor makes these, the shop is north of Atlanta, (not adjustable). Got a long seat hatch they made, very good work!

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
there's probably a standard but your height can effect that. when I put my skiff together I mocked up a tiller extension out of pvc and ran with that for a few trips taking measurements of what height I'd like my grab bar and length for the tiller extension. After I figured it out I ordered a carbon fiber extension and a black aluminum grab bar to my specifications.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks J-Dad. Thats exactly what I needed. Just a measurement to start with. I'll make an experimental one out of pvc first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts