Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Panga is sold pending funds and I'm gonna be having a Sabine Versatile built. I don't really need a depth/fish finder but a GPS to mark tracks, especially running in the maze of marshes we have is a big help. Plus I like to keep my tracks so I know where I can safely run.

I'm not a big electronics guy so I'm relatively clueless. I've gotten some input on Simrad being a good choice.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where do you fish (state)?
Texas mostly; Sabine down to the Upper Laguna (Corpus Christi). Some trips to Louisiana and FL.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Okay. If you were in Florida I was going to point you towards Simrad/Lowrance for compatibility with Florida Marine Tracks (now Isla Mapping). Expensive as cartography goes, but absolutely nothing comes close to the quality of what you get.

They do have Louisiana now but not Texas yet.

I grew up fishing out of Rockport and just knew my way around but fishing in Florida now I can navigate anywhere like I grew up there using FMT.

Good luck in your search. In the end it will be personal preference but I do suggest finding the chart you like and then pick the unit that works with it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
We have similar wants and fish the same waters. I went with the Simrad NSS EVO3 based on feedback I got from others on here and will use the Navionics+ chip for satellite overlay.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I got the Garmin Echomap Plus 64cv. It does have the depth/fish finder and comes with the Blue water G3 maps and works great. I also thought I did not need the depth finder but it really helps to locate structure and bottom contours that you can mark a waypoint on and keeps a record of your tracks. Is a lot cheaper than the Simrad / Lowrance models. I would at least consider the depthfinder option. Check out the GPS store if you are going to buy online. I shopped around and found it for less there, but if anyone else has found a good deal somewhere else let us know.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Simrad NSS EVO3. The rotary dial is worth its weight in gold compared to the GO series. So much easier to use when running. And if you run a marsh with a lot of channels and bayous etc then as big a screen as you can afford. I like 9".

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finn, since you are having the Sabine skiff made, what's going to happen with the Banana River Skiff you were going to rehab?
I have a tentative agreement with a guide friend to trade it for a couple days on the water with him. I just don't have the time or patience to spend on finishing it. Between work, my boys, and their sports schedules I barely have any time to get on the water as it is and even less to work on it.

Reactions: yobata

·
I Love microskiff.com!
702 Posts
So my Panga is sold pending funds and I'm gonna be having a Sabine Versatile built. I don't really need a depth/fish finder but a GPS to mark tracks, especially running in the maze of marshes we have is a big help. Plus I like to keep my tracks so I know where I can safely run.

I'm not a big electronics guy so I'm relatively clueless. I've gotten some input on Simrad being a good choice.
Go ahead and get a shoot thru hull transducer. The lowrance shoot thru is only $80. I use mine more often than I thought I would. Its helped me find holes on the marsh that you never would have known are there. I can read my transducer even while on plane at slow speeds. You'd be surprised how often it comes in handy and for $80 its a no brainer. No sure how much the simrad shoot thru hull transducers are. I prefer to have a touch screen with buttons in case of wet fingers or if the touch screen breaks bc your buddy accidently dropped it on the ground pulling it off the skiff.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Get Brian to make your engine stats show on your screen. Pretty slick and I think most of the units these days are capable of it.

Reactions: BudT

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, buyer’s finance fell out. Listing the Panga in the bigger boars forum here too.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Get Brian to make your engine stats show on your screen. Pretty slick and I think most of the units these days are capable of it.
Great suggestion, but I would add that Humminbird doesn't play well with n2k. I found out the hard way that you can only get rpm's and engine temp to show up from the outboard. Guys using the same setups with Lowrance products are getting a lot more engine data.

I fish Sabine and some of the other areas you mentioned. I am not at all happy with the Humminbird 10" I put on my skiff. Mapping is pitiful even with Navionics P+. I went with it for the down and side scan which are impressive. I will likely be changing back to Lowrance, because I dislike the mapping features.

Sorry to hear your deal fell through. I love buying boats, but damn I hate selling them, lol!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry to hear your deal fell through. I love buying boats, but damn I hate selling them, lol!
The real bummer is the Mistress of War won’t green-light the deposit on a new skiff until this one is sold.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Go ahead and get a shoot thru hull transducer. The lowrance shoot thru is only $80. I use mine more often than I thought I would. Its helped me find holes on the marsh that you never would have known are there. I can read my transducer even while on plane at slow speeds. You'd be surprised how often it comes in handy and for $80 its a no brainer. No sure how much the simrad shoot thru hull transducers are. I prefer to have a touch screen with buttons in case of wet fingers or if the touch screen breaks bc your buddy accidently dropped it on the ground pulling it off the skiff.
Great idea, but an aluminum hull won’t work.

·
Registered
2018 Ankona Cayenne
87 Posts
For those running a Simrad NSS9 Evo3, what are you using for a transom mounted transducer if you have one?

·
Registered
55 Posts
For those running a Simrad NSS9 Evo3, what are you using for a transom mounted transducer if you have one?
On my bay boat (which has a NSS12 Evo 3), I have two transducers - one chirp and one for the 3D/Structure scan. On a skiff that is unnecessary so my new Mosquito will have a NSS9 and the TotalScan transducer which is a combo of basic down firing and side/structure scan (no 3D). That will be more than what I need for this boat as 90% of the time I will just be able to look over the side and see the bottom :).

·
Banned
906 Posts
Simrad NSS EVO3. The rotary dial is worth its weight in gold compared to the GO series. So much easier to use when running. And if you run a marsh with a lot of channels and bayous etc then as big a screen as you can afford. I like 9".
I'd get a Simrad or Lowrance to be able to run other chips. I have the HDS Carbon 9 with the FMT chip. Guys that bought the 7 wished they bought the 9. Some guys that bought the 9 wished they bought the 12. IMHO the 9 is sufficient. YMMV.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts