Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to go out this morning and chase some yellow mouths. It wasnt meant to be. Motor started up fine, went and parked my truck and upon returning it wasnt running. Hmmm. Took a minute to get it started again, ran it down laird bayou to east bay in panama city. Didnt miss a beat. So I returned to an area near where I launched to throw my net and while I was approaching the little grass island where I usually get bait, engine chug chugged and died. Couldnt get it restarted and strong smell of gas. Im not one to leave this stuff to chance so I headed back to the launch, which was just a couple hundred yards away. (paddled) Picked up and went home. Upon arriving at the house the boat fired right up. Wasnt really idling well. So I adjusted my idle and tweaked my fuel air ratio and got it as smooth as its ever been. I recently replaced the entire fuel system from the tank to the engine, fuel pump, filter and primer bulb on the engine. I dont really use that primer bulb on the engine but the old one was rotted and cracked badly. Guess what... the new one is already cracking to the point of spraying gas if you push it. Not sure if this is affecting fuel delivery or not...My question is should I replace it or just forgo it, and anyone know if I can use a generic rubber bulb to replace it, original equipment is 26$, I can get just the bulb for 6$ (4 of them)
Engine is a 09 merc 4 stroke 8hp

·
BBA Counselor
7,236 Posts
Yes, replace the bulb. You may not need it now, but if your fuel pump is starting to age it may not be as strong down the road. Any ethanol rated bulb will work ok. Just try to keep them out of the sun, that kills them quickly.

And yes if the build is leaking it will cause fuel delivery issues.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Every portion of your fuel delivery system (from tank to motor...) needs to be air tight or you end up with troubles... Lots and lots of cheapie, junk "ready made" fuel lines available from big box stores but I'd avoid them like the plague... If you need a fuel bulb replacement - the best on the market is the one by BRP (the Evinrude folks...). I know of a few pros who prefer them - no matter what brand of motor their rigging or servicing....

They're not cheap - but one will last you years and years....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Every portion of your fuel delivery system (from tank to motor...) needs to be air tight or you end up with troubles... Lots and lots of cheapie, junk "ready made" fuel lines available from big box stores but I'd avoid them like the plague... If you need a fuel bulb replacement - the best on the market is the one by BRP (the Evinrude folks...). I know of a few pros who prefer them - no matter what brand of motor their rigging or servicing....

They're not cheap - but one will last you years and years....
Its the little primer bulb on the engine that you push with your finger like a lawnmower or weedeater. My other ball is a QS and its brand new. fuel line is automotive type line and brand new also.

·
Brandon, FL
10,976 Posts
Its the little primer bulb on the engine that you push with your finger like a lawnmower or weedeater. My other ball is a QS and its brand new. fuel line is automotive type line and brand new also.
The only problem I ever have with my edger is that stupid little bulb so I keep them on hand. 4 screws and it will be fine again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts