got a new to me boat

Discussion in 'Virginia, Northern East Coast' started by yeffy, Apr 20, 2013.

1. yeffy

yeffy I Love microskiff.com!

bought a 96 hobie skiff yesterday, just waiting for the wind to die down so i can head out for stripers anybody have any luck lately? i know not a lot of northern guys on this site but im 30 minutes from the susky flats if anyone wants to fish im always looking for a fishing partner to share poling duties for striper and carp fishing. i only fly fish but if you spin or baitcast thats fine with me too.

[​IMG]

2. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

Let me give you a hand... ...you cut a bracket off by accident...

[​IMG]

Looks like a good set up. I have heard of those flats, but never been there yet.

Nate

3. yeffy

Thanks for fixing it for me. I played with those stupid pictures for an hour and then gave up. The flats are great 3 to 7 feet deep and hold stripers up to 50lbs in the spring. Don't go on a weekend it's a mad house. Did you ever finish your skiff?

4. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Oh no you didnt!!!
    Haha just kidding.
    Perfection takes time right nate ;D

5. WhiteDog70810

Perfection? Even workboat finish is proving elusive right now.

I am so close I can taste it, but I still am not done. I sometimes wonder if I self sabotage to avoid having to stare at it while I save up for a motor.

Nate

6. yeffy

What size motor are you looking for? I have a few small motors around the house.

7. WhiteDog70810

I'll probably start with a 9.8-9.9 HP MercHatSu and see how it works. If that proves to be too weak, I'll save my dryer and sofa change for a 20 HP Suzuki.

Nate

8. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

Nate, man when I first saw this thread I thought YOU were the one who bought the boat. I was about to call you out! lol

Jeff, that is a sweet boat you have there. So, since you fly fish for stripers what do you use? Sinking line on an 8wt? What flies?

9. yeffy

In the spring when they're shallow I fish floaters usually between 8 and 10 weights depending on the size flies I'm throwing. When summer moves in ill go to full sinking 350 grain line. I like fishing ep flies and recently I've been using a fly developed for musky but stripers like them too. Ill put a pic up