Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I just discovered microskiff.com...very cool! I have been around boats for a long time, and fell in love the the Hobie Power skiff a long time ago. I'm getting my second PS, top image is my "new boat" with the old 50 HP, middle image the same boat with a new 70HP. The bottom image is my wife and daughter on my first boat, near our home in San Carlos, Sonora MX. The original skiff did everything I ever wanted for fun family rig. Unfortunately it was stolen. Broke our heart.
Another ****** guy who lives (we have since moved to Bend Or.) in San Carlos got his own HPS, and promptly put a new 70 HP 4-stroke on it. He lost it in a divorce and I just secured getting it. Will be a few months before we drive down to get it.. So I got Hobie Power Skiff on my brain. I am leery of that heavy of an engine, and I was really lucky with my first boat to be rock solid. So we'll just see what it is.till we can drive down, but I am stoked!
704637_312588345523934_1243244108_o.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_2680.JPG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure yet I haven’t driven it!
Sounds cool - what do you catch in San Carlos? Are you a fly fisherman?
I ran a Bering Sea boat that caught 20 million pounds a year....I just explored and caved and skied my PS. lot of my friends fished yellowtail in winter, dorado and marlin in summer. I know fly fishermen would use lured to bring the dorado close, the fly fish them. They say there’s nothing like it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,433 Posts
Central Oregon is home, lots of lakes, lots a Chrystal clear cold water, not sure on poling.
I meant to say shallow water fish hunting from a skiff near your home in the Sea of Cortez. I have always wanted to explore the west coast of Mexico.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I meant to say shallow water fish hunting from a skiff near your home in the Sea of Cortez. I have always wanted to explore the west coast of Mexico.
San Carlos is on the mainland side half way down the Sea Of Cortez. A six hour drive from the border. It's a very cool place, about half ****** in the winter. Fishing and boating are wonderful. Not a lot of shallow water, bays, rocks, lots of points. Check http://forum.sancarlosmexico.com they are avid fishing guys on that forum.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 8.43.00 AM.png

IMG_4034.jpg
bays, rocks,

·
Registered
475 Posts
i remember reading an article in sport fishing Mag about sea of cortez. The interesting thing i remember is people catching Dolphin from shore or on kayaks a stones throw from shore since its so deep just off shore

·
I Love microskiff.com!
101 Posts
Hey everyone, I just discovered microskiff.com...very cool! I have been around boats for a long time, and fell in love the the Hobie Power skiff a long time ago. I'm getting my second PS, top image is my "new boat" with the old 50 HP, middle image the same boat with a new 70HP. The bottom image is my wife and daughter on my first boat, near our home in San Carlos, Sonora MX. The original skiff did everything I ever wanted for fun family rig. Unfortunately it was stolen. Broke our heart.
Another ****** guy who lives (we have since moved to Bend Or.) in San Carlos got his own HPS, and promptly put a new 70 HP 4-stroke on it. He lost it in a divorce and I just secured getting it. Will be a few months before we drive down to get it.. So I got Hobie Power Skiff on my brain. I am leery of that heavy of an engine, and I was really lucky with my first boat to be rock solid. So we'll just see what it is.till we can drive down, but I am stoked!
View attachment 56506
View attachment 56504
View attachment 56502
you really gonna swim in that cold ass water?lol nice skiff welcome

·
Registered
6 Posts
Capt. Jack, I'm in the process of bringing a HPS back to life and am excited to get it running. The boat will be used for some fishing, scuba/free diving, and skiing. I'm looking at my power options and was wondering if you have any feedback on how the 50hp Yamaha pulled a skier. I know it's plenty of motor for the other stuff but haven't seen much on performance while pulling someone. I'd love to hang a 70hp 4 Stroke Yamaha but share your concern about the weight.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Awesome pics, looks like a beautiful place. Welcome to Microskiff!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Drove from Bend Oregon to San Carlos (27 hrs.) to open the garage and see what bought. I already knew the boat a bit, buying from a divorce thing. 1986 Hobie Powerskiff with 2015 Yamaha 70 HP 4 stroke. I have this week to get it all road worthy. Portable tail lights worked perfect first try. 3 new tires mounted. Getting close to ready. Lots of craters in the rail, I believe it's where the aluminum and SS fittings blew up from corrosion.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts