Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16 silver king with a 90 hp with a cable steering. My helm needs to be replaced and wondering if it would be worth spending the extra money for hydraulic steering on a small 90 hp. Any recommendations.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Yes. Absolutely. Easy to maintain. Simple to fix when it goes wrong.

Something to consider when you are shopping rams, the u-flex ram can not be easily serviced. Their customer service is really good but if you get a leaky shaft seal it's not as simple as some of the others. Your local hose house can probably fix whatever you need.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Cody--2 stroke or 4? I have a Mav Mirage w/90 2 stroke. I currently have the telefax nfb. I have had hydraulic on past boats. I have never felt hydraulic was needed with this motor. It's not "torquey", turns easy, and doesn't jump with my hands off the wheel. Sure, hydraulic is smoother, but not by much. I think the hydraulic allows for less spins of the wheel to turn the motor--again not something I even notice. That being said, if cost is not a concern, I would say go hydraulic. To myself, it wasn't worth the extra coin. Tight lines...

·
Panhandler
3,452 Posts
Replaced the NFB U-Flex helm with U-Flex hydraulic on the Mosquito. Glad I did. Smoother, easier to steer and certainly cleaner. Definitely worth the difference in price.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 16 silver king with a 90 hp with a cable steering. My helm needs to be replaced and wondering if it would be worth spending the extra money for hydraulic steering on a small 90 hp. Any recommendations.
Had hydraulic all my boats, 3 of which over 20 years old, replaced alot of things but never replaced or had any problems with hydraulic steering..worth every penny..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.