gore tex costumes

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by timemachine, Oct 21, 2014.

1. timemachine

timemachine I Love microskiff.com!

Well, sadly, summer is over and winter is here. (for me there is summer, and everything else is winter, maybe I need to move south.)

I've been using a Columbia shell to stop the wind, and it is great for that, but I get soaking wet underneath. So I am looking for a gore tex shell that would be appropriate for boating-fishing, bicycling and motorcycling. Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. RonBari

RonBari I Love microskiff.com!

LL Bean offers a genuine Goretex shell at a very good value.  My first one lasted over ten years with regular use... bought my second one last year. 
    I also have a Columbia Goretex jacket.

They have both seen heavy use (especially the LL Bean) and they both work great.  The Columbia might be a little lighter, but they are both "packable", and fold into their own pockets. 

3. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

What the heck is a gore tex shell?

4. timemachine

Just a light jacket without much of a lining.  You add layers underneath for warmth.

Edit- Oh, Stuart FLA- a jacket is a thing that people in polar areas wear to keep them from freezing.  Must be nice.

5. RonBari

It can be one of two things.  A nylon windbreaker with a waterproof, breathable goretex membrane...
      or.. a powerful artillery round designed to pierce, or "gore" enemy tanks.. made in Texas.

6. Otterdog

Otterdog 2008 Gordon Waterman 16

LL Bean will also stand behind their products. I don't think you can go wrong with Bean.

7. lopakapence

lopakapence I Love microskiff.com!

And it is only $399.99. I have a cheap Chinese windbreaker that has lasted 25 years, only $19.99 when I bought it, costs $25.99 today.

8. CurtisWright

CurtisWright Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick Two.

I wear a white water paddeling dry top and pants when I am out in the winter (winter usually happens in Alabama for about 3 weeks in Janurary). There are tons of different brands but they all have seals for your wrists, neck and waist that keep all the water out. They are usually little heavier than goretex, but way dryer because they were meant to go for a swim.

Good chit aint cheap and cheap chit aint good

9. touimet

touimet I Love microskiff.com!

http://arcteryx.com/ProductFind.aspx?language=EN&gender=Mens&category=Shell_Jackets

These shells work miracles, well worth the coin because it sounds like you'll get the use out of it. I use mine now for a just a rain jacket.

Disclaimer: Mine was a gift from one of their reps, I did not pay $750 for a rain jacket.

10. C_Wheeler

C_Wheeler I Love microskiff.com!

I would look into Helly Hansen. Several of the above mentioned, like Arcteryx, are great products for rain wear but salt spray will ruin the zippers in a hurry. Helly Hansen got their start making products for offshore workers.

http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/products/men/jackets/#f_activity=Sailing&fc_activity&sort_by=section_position_40358_asc,timestamp_desc&page_size=16&secid=40358&page=1

11. tanker90

tanker90 I Love microskiff.com!

+1  I bought mine 8 years ago and its been well worth it.  Its a great winter jacket when you put a good fleece under it.  But I never wear mine on the boat.

12. RonBari

LL Bean's Men's stowaway goretex jacket lists for $199.00.  I got my latest one for $149.00 because they were closing out some colors.  They are light, dry, breathable comfortable.. and wear like iron. 

13. Edfish

Edfish I Love microskiff.com!

There are a lot of options out there to fit most budgets. I have found it tough to find a well made gore-tex shell/jacket for <$100, but it can be done (usually through Cabelas sales or Sierra Trading Post coupons).  I think $150-200 is reasonable if you want gore-tex. I've used Lowe Alpine, EMS and Cabelas and though they were fine, though I like LLbean a lot too. Many other companies produce similar waterproof and breathable fabrics and a lot of these can be had for $40-100, if you shop around a bit.  I think really high-end stuff (Arcteryx, Patagonia, others) tend to have the price because they are durable and light, which probably matters more for mountaineering than it does fishing.  I have come by some of that stuff through less expensive (but legal!) means, and think the Bass Pro/Cabelas options work just fine.   I've also used and liked gore-tex jackets from army navy surplus stores.  For real wet and slimy work on boats,  I use Grundens or Helly Hanson PVC and leave the fancy stuff at home.

14. Austin_Boudreaux

Austin_Boudreaux I Love microskiff.com!

I have had a Mountain Hardware Goretex shell for the past 4 years. Extremely dry. When you are buying a rain/goretex jacket pay attention to the zippers and seams. Thats where water will get in. Make sure there is coating over the zippers and seams so it seals.

15. lopakapence

lopakapence I Love microskiff.com!

okay, so I found a Gore-Tex shell at the local army navy for around $50. Problem is, it is camo. The last thing I want if I am on a boat in the river.

16. Capnredfish

Capnredfish Well-Known Member

Yes you may have saved a ton but you will not look as cool in selfies, facebook or some video of yourself on line.

17. Rooster

Rooster Towee Calusa

I was looking online for some bibs and ran across some made by Frabill - the F3 model. The were like $150ish; received the last week and very impressed. Ordered the matching top today.

18. timemachine

Thanks for the great tips guys- Now the question is if I even want gore tex- maybe there are more breathable fabrics now. THis is going to add up to some real dinero, so I want to try to make sure I consider the options. ANd it may end up being a couple of sets- for biking, it's more sweat and less water- for boating this time of year, you can count on being soaked from head to toe (which is fun with the right gear).

19. RonBari

We've tried a couple of the other "breathable waterproof" options over the years.  Had something I think was called "Mountain Hardware" which was a fail.  Columbia's Omni-Tech has been excellent so far.  It's better to spend the $150. for something you know is going to work and use it for ten years than it is to buy five cheap things that don't work and you throw them away.  My vote: LL Bean's Goretex or Columbia's Omni-Tech.   We own both, and they were both bought on sale as end of season close out items.

20. Reed_Austin

Reed_Austin I Love microskiff.com!

I live in Mass and hunt and fish the salt year round. Except for winter duck hunting, I use my Bean Gore-tex shell for everything. If it's cold, add fleece underneath. (Nte: neoprene chestwaders changed the cold-weather game forever. Whoever came up with the idea should get the Nobel prize for common sense.)

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63188?feat=68624-pprrright

I bought this eight years ago for, I think, $90. It's now $190, and I would by it again in a heartbeat. It lives in saltwater and the zipper is still 100% fine. At the same time I bought a pair of lightweight Helly Hansen Gore-tex rain pants. Two weeks ago I was in a monsoon at the Annapolis boat show wearing both. From the waist up I was dry as a bone. From the waist down I was soaked. Tossed the pants and replaced them.

Without meaning to sound provincial. I don't know if folks in the south have the same exposure to Bean that we do up here. Their customer service is legendary and they simply will not let you go away unhappy. They will replace an item even when it's not the item's fault.

Any proper Gore-tex shell is going to cost in the neighborhood of $150 - 200 and there are plenty of other good ones out there. I have spent decades poking around foul-weather gear - tops and bottoms, heavy and light - and in the end I usually come back to Bean and never regret the decision. You always know what you are going to get, and at a reasonable price. And Bean will stand behind their stuff forever.

Good luck