Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
BBA Counselor
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was out with the kids the other day at Ft Desoto fishing, but I use that term loosely. Once the shrimp were all eaten we switched to some DOA shrimp under popping corks. We got a few hits. But nothing to good.

I took the cork off and worked it just as a jig, but all I ever seem to catch that way is grass! Maybe I go to fast, or to slow, or hop it to much.....whatever it is, I just never had much luck with them.

I had an old spook jr in my box, I haven't used in years, but tied it on and started trying to walk the dog. Started getting hits soon after. Even landed one.
20190818_141417.jpg

So long story longer, I haven really used lures in years, mostly live bait, and my skills have waned. All this talk has about camping has me thinking now.
What are your goof proof go to lures? I always liked the spook because I can see it and its relatively easy to work. Not sure about winter time though.

·
Registered
2015 HB Pro
121 Posts
Mine is just a simple white paddletail. Not really a lure, but I’ve caught snook, reds, trout, tarpon, snapper, cudas, grouper and so much more on them, and even the most novice fisherman can cast it and just reel it steadily in. I never leave the dock without a couple of packs. Doesn’t provide the excitement of a top water, but if reeled quickly will skim close enough to the top to come close. Also had a ton of success with Yozuri surface minnows, and much easier to work than a spook

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,605 Posts
So I was out with the kids the other day at Ft Desoto fishing, but I use that term loosely. Once the shrimp were all eaten we switched to some DOA shrimp under popping corks. We got a few hits. But nothing to good.

I took the cork off and worked it just as a jig, but all I ever seem to catch that way is grass! Maybe I go to fast, or to slow, or hop it to much.....whatever it is, I just never had much luck with them.

I had an old spook jr in my box, I haven't used in years, but tied it on and started trying to walk the dog. Started getting hits soon after. Even landed one.
View attachment 89282

So long story longer, I haven really used lures in years, mostly live bait, and my skills have waned. All this talk has about camping has me thinking now.
What are your goof proof go to lures? I always liked the spook because I can see it and its relatively easy to work. Not sure about winter time though.
weighted worm hook or weed guard on a jig head when dealing with grass... gulps work and will keep the kids interested.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
image.jpg Man it’s tuff to beat a simple soft plastic and jig head. Cast out, count down to the depth you want to fish and bounce it back it in. I prefer a smaller profile bait like Norton sand eel jrs and reaction strike jerk jr.

The Reaction strikes in 4.5” “croaker” and 3.5” “twopenny” have been doing well for me lately. The Norton sand eel jr is a 4” “black magic.”

Honestly, I throw the Norton in black magic probably 80% of the time. My all time favorite is a B&L in root beer but I can’t find them anymore.

·
Panhandler
2,720 Posts
I fish these three probably 95 percent of the time:
Rapala Skitter Walk 08
Aqua Dream weedless 3/8-oz spoon (different tints depending on water clarity)
DOA 1/4-oz near clear shrimp (solo, without cork)

If I want to change it up, I'll tie on a jerk bait with swimbait hook or shad tail on a 1/8-oz jig head

·
BBA Counselor
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 4 year old son catches sight cast trout and redfish on a 1/16oz jighead and soft plastic tail with no popping cork. My thoughts are see if they need training wheels before you put them on a bike with them. If they can cast and retrieve they should be able to work a soft plastic and keep it out of the shell and grass.

View attachment 89296 View attachment 89298 View attachment 89300 View attachment 89302
Your son is ahead of the curve. My son is 3 and not quite there. My daughter is 9, but for personal reasons there are certain things that don't work well for her. However I'm more talking about just myself and which lures I'd want on a long weekend camping.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My 4 year old son catches sight cast trout and redfish on a 1/16oz jighead and soft plastic tail with no popping cork. My thoughts are see if they need training wheels before you put them on a bike with them. If they can cast and retrieve they should be able to work a soft plastic and keep it out of the shell and grass.
Reason you started him on Zebco style push button over spinning set up w/ that theory? More so curious as my son fishes with me (turns 4 in Nov.). I tried the little kid rods but they are junk so ended up getting a micro ugly stick with a nice micro spin reel that can handle bigger fish. He isn't casting on his own yet but has been reeling in just fine now for over a year. I can def. see how the zebco style is easier to introduce them to casting and wondering if I should maybe switch to that when my daughter starts.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I frequently have inexperienced people on the boat fishing artificials and use either a paddle tail on a jig head and straight crank it or a gulp shrimp under a popping cork. I have also started using chatterbaits as it is easy to say reel it just fast enough to few the vibrations.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Reason you started him on Zebco style push button over spinning set up w/ that theory? More so curious as my son fishes with me (turns 4 in Nov.). I tried the little kid rods but they are junk so ended up getting a micro ugly stick with a nice micro spin reel that can handle bigger fish. He isn't casting on his own yet but has been reeling in just fine now for over a year. I can def. see how the zebco style is easier to introduce them to casting and wondering if I should maybe switch to that when my daughter starts.
I bought it for him when he was a baby and built him a custom rod (a better rod than most men own) to match it and he’s very attached to it. I will be getting him a baitcaster and training him to fish with it very soon. I do have it spooled up with 10 pound braid and it’s actually very stout. I’m stoked that he can fish with me all day throwing artificial and never needs help. I can’t say as much for some grown men...

G

·
For a tough bite I will tie on a daggum rattle trap “silver with blue & red” and they catch red fish! Just don’t set the hook on the first bump or you will most likely miss it! Gold spoon with curly tail grub, gold inline spinner bait.

Trout, paddle tail, curly tail, stick bait, doa shrimp, gulp shrimp, yozuri shrimp are my go too’s

1 - 20 of 45 Posts