Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking the skiff to Islamorada for the first time in a few weeks. Staying in Safety Harbor on Lower Matecumbe Key at mile marker 74. What is a decent public ramp near there? I am used to launching at small ramps so that won't be an issue. Geographic proximity to place, is the major concern as I have to do it all myself.

Any other pearls anyone once to throw out there, I am all ears. Thanks in advance.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
2,040 Posts
Yep -- the "ramp" on Indian Key isn't too bad, especially if you get there on a weekday. On a weekend you might have to wait for a minute, but at least it's usually good entertainment.

·
Registered
419 Posts
depends if you're willing to spend $25 or not. sea bird's hours suck. Some places are absolutely crazy and want $20 for launch, $20 for retrieve. To me, a giant factor is the hours of the ramp. I absolutely hate to wait for a ramp to open, or hustle back to a ramp before they close. Unfortunately, I think the fill is your best option. Weekday or not, definitely get there early. Ton of hooligans there.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Indian Key is the only free ramp I know of (I live just a few miles down the road from that ramp) and the last time I used it it was in terrible condition, no problem if you have four wheel drive or at high tide, but it’s an unimproved gravel ramp that has had near zero maintenance for decades.

And the crowds on the weekends are crazy, get there early and you should be okay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.