Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been beat up a lot but I’ve been throwing a reddington path 8wt for a few years and I’m ready to step it up. I love gloomis all my inshore spinning rods are gloomis but I’m not ready to drop $900. I was looking is the imx pro but that seems like it’s more built for freshwater. Anyone have a good review on this rod on how it would compare to the echo prime 2, reacon 2, or other mid price rods? Primarily for Tampa redfish and snook.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yea, I wonder why G.Loomis puts their IMX-Pro line up in the freshwater category. I guess their website still does that. I’ve got the IMX-Pro 6 weight. Nothing stands out to me about the guides and reel seat that says it should not be good in the saltwater. Anyway, the 6 weight is a nice rod. It was a warranty replacement for a discontinued model. I really haven’t gotten it into action much, just casting off the dock. I thought the 6 weight IMX-Pro would be a fun wade the calm Texas surf rod after speckled trout type of rod. I didn’t seem to ever find time last summer, maybe 2022 will be better. Anyway, the rod is much nicer than my usual ones, I only got it because G.Loomis was being generous with their warranty replacement.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,174 Posts
I also like the Tidal, I had it in an 8. Not fast action in my opinion but very smooth & predictable action.
Definitely not a fast action compared to most but I think people have gotten obsessed over a “fast” rod. I’d call the Tidal moderately fast. I have no problem bombing out the whole line with it but let’s be honest, that’s not realistic in fishing. I’ve got no problem putting it out there where I want it at 60’ with just one or two false casts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Definitely not a fast action compared to most but I think people have gotten obsessed over a “fast” rod. I’d call the Tidal moderately fast. I have no problem bombing out the whole line with it but let’s be honest, that’s not realistic in fishing. I’ve got no problem putting it out there where I want it at 60’ with just one or two false casts.
Bombing the whole line?! You are a better caster than I sir!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know this topic has been beat up a lot but I’ve been throwing a reddington path 8wt for a few years and I’m ready to step it up. I love gloomis all my inshore spinning rods are gloomis but I’m not ready to drop $900. I was looking is the imx pro but that seems like it’s more built for freshwater. Anyone have a good review on this rod on how it would compare to the echo prime 2, reacon 2, or other mid price rods? Primarily for Tampa redfish and snook.
I have also heard good things about the Sage Maverick.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,174 Posts
Bombing the whole line?! You are a better caster than I sir!
Let's be honest though, I'm gonna need dead-ass calm, perfect conditions to do that. And I think I have only ever cast to a fish at 90' or so maybe once in about 15 years of almost exclusively fly fishing. And that fish was downwind. Casting like that is sort of line long-drive competitions. It's sort of a dick-measuring contest but of little practical use on the water. Just be able to hit a pie plate at 60' with just one or two false casts and you're golden.

Quick accurate casts, understanding how to feed a fish, and being able to see fish in the water are going to put you ahead 90% of the people out there. And to be clear, I need to be better at all 3 of those things myself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
EDGE Gamma Beta or Alpha depending on what action you like. The Gamma Beta is a faster blank and what I use for redfish. Made in USA and a good price.
I second this recommendation. I have Edge rods in 6, 7, and 9 weight and love them. If you are not familiar with Edge, they are the rods that Gary Loomis has been building after leaving G. Loomis. Thus you get a Loomis designed rod while not paying the G. Loomis price. They are made in the USA, and the company is running a sale right now. Online only. (I am not affiliated with the company at all).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts