Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

golden isles / ssi boating question

1729 11
im in SSI for the second time and we love it. now i am seriously considering bringing my Pathfinder 17t up to SSI this summer for several weeks.

what i cant figure out is how exactly the "regular" people store their skiffs. not that there seem to be many regular people living on SSI - but i see duck boats on trailers in the yards here and there, but i dont see skiffs really anywhere. I am told the ramps here are a nightmare for various reasons, so are there rack storage places that you call the night before or what? cant imagine people leave their little skiffs in the water all the time.

im pretty observant and i cant seem to puzzle this one out, i fish in SW and SE florida, we trailer to the ramp and then home again at the end of the day. however, our tides arent 7 feet either. thanks all - i totally drank the florida koolaid but i have to say Georgia is AMAZING!!!!

heres what i will miss about florida for the eyeballs.
Fish Fishing Recreational fishing Bass Fish
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
532 Posts
You won’t catch any of those here althoughI have heard some talk of snook being caught here in recent years. I grew up on SSI but it’s definitely not the same anymore. If you’re dead set on staying there I would check with Golden Isles Marina. The big one on the right at the last bridge on the causeway. I know they have rack storage and they will launch your boat for you. I have no idea what their rates and terms are anymore. Inshore fishing is overall pretty good here all year round despite the overturned car carrier in the sound. I live a little further north now at Shellman Bluff and we have a virtually untouched fishery up here. Good luck with your endeavors.

· I Love microskiff.com!
1999 Pathfinder 17T
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You won’t catch any of those here althoughI have heard some talk of snook being caught here in recent years. I grew up on SSI but it’s definitely not the same anymore. If you’re dead set on staying there I would check with Golden Isles Marina. The big one on the right at the last bridge on the causeway. I know they have rack storage and they will launch your boat for you. I have no idea what their rates and terms are anymore. Inshore fishing is overall pretty good here all year round despite the overturned car carrier in the sound. I live a little further north now at Shellman Bluff and we have a virtually untouched fishery up here. Good luck with your endeavors.
so do you have your own dock? do you drive to the ramp each day to fish? how does it work? not asking for the secret spots (yet) because im still confused on the practical matters

· Waitin' on the flood !
2009 Beavertail BTX powered by a 2020 Tohatsu MFS60
280 Posts
I’ve been wanting to fish the Sapelo Island area for years. Any interest in show someone around? More than happy to drag my skiff up that way.

· Registered
532 Posts
Still learning the area myself since we’ve only lived here since April, but I know a few decent spots. So yeah. PM me whenever you think you may be up here. Kicking myself in the arse for not going this morning. I see you’re in Fernandina Beach. I’ve been wanting to get down there and fish forever too. I’ve got a couple of cousins down there that are pretty hardcore fishermen

· Registered
310 Posts
I live in Brunswick, but I have family on the Island, and fish the Island a lot. On the Island a lot of neighborhoods do not allow boats in the driveway or yard. If you can keep your boat on a trailer at whatever place you stay there are good boat launches to use. The St. Simons Village Creek boat launch is great. You just cannot put in or take out an hour and a half before or after the low tide since it dries up. There are a lot of good launches in and around Brunswick as well. One really good one is right under the Sydney Lanier bridge. Both marinas that can store your boat on the island/causway are good. The one on the Causeway, the Morning Star marina, or on the North side of the Island there is the Hampton River marina. The Hampton River is a little more affordable, but with moderate runs you can get on fish at either.

· I Love microskiff.com!
1999 Pathfinder 17T
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that little dirst rd next to hampton river marina looked like a good place to walk out on a summer flood tide. but ive never done that. also the road to sea island looked like a good access point. whats a good lure for those flood tides? ive heard the teeny tiny doa shrimp or a small shrimp fly? im good to go with either method.

· Registered
310 Posts
for floodtides I like swimbait hooks weightless or 1/16oz with a small plastic rigged weedless. Small weedless crab fly, but if you bring a boat you can get better access to better flats even if you get out and wade when you get there.

good flood tide video from some flats in the brunswick, st. simons, jekyl area.

· I Love microskiff.com!
21 Posts
I live on SSI. Ramps are very unique here. The one on the causeway is a nightmare to launch and retrieve if the tide is really moving. When I had my SM 1444 I launched it at village creek, you just have to pay attention to the tides. There are a ton of spots to get into the trout and redfish in village creek. I take my 14 year old son and his friends usually, so i usually just fish with a cajun thunder popping cork and either live shrimp or a DOA under it. I currently have a 20ft Pioneer and keep it up at Hampton Point. The most affordable lift on the island would be at St Simons Marina right off of Sea Island road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.