Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a make up trip from AUG that got canceled due to the storm.
Going to be a little further south then I normally fish (Normally go to Sarasota).

Staying in Ft Myers- not looking for anyone's secret spot, but any good places to check out?
Thinking of driving to Lovers Key to fish there - is it worth it?

Any good spots on Sanibel?

Ultimately just want to catch some snook on the beach. Those of us in NE FL dont get to play with Snook very often, so trying to get some shots in while we are in town.

Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You could do worse than parking at the Bowman's Beach parking lot, hitting the beach there and walking towards blind pass.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Get onto Lover's Key Beach and walk towards New Pass or Big Carlos.. falling tide in the evening has been pretty good right off the beach at either pass..👍

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome. Thank you for the tips.

Any great places to eat we should not miss out on?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The Island Cow on Sanibel is decent, but it has been a few years.

Reactions: Jared D

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1820 Action Craft
913 Posts
I was on the beach today and never saw a snook, I did see a lot of snook on the inside of the pass. I think they are transitioning back inside this time of year. Redfish are on fire right now.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
If you're fishing from shore you need to go early as Lovers Key will be very crowded. Shore fishing down here is tough this place is crowded.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Doc fords and the island cow on sanibel are great. Google north cape flats trail it’s and easy accessible grass flat if you aren’t on a boat. You have to walk the trail back but it dumps you out right at a grass flat that you can catch snook and reds on. Easy place to check out

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you can, go to blind pass near dark on an outgoing tide. Walk under the bridge and follow the pass a ways inside, maybe 100 yards. Wade across till you can cast to the deeper current--you will see the docks on the other side (south) side of the pass.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rough trip so far. We got one small snook at Ding Darling. Seen a few snook caught around us on live bait… but wow, these fish get tons of pressure.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How did the fishing end up being?
We had fun but fishing was not great. It is a really beautiful area... much prettier than where I live in FL. But everywhere we went, the locations were packed with people. Example- we went to Blind Pass a couple times and that narrow pass had probably 15 - 20 fishermen hitting it hard. Bait, lures, fly, etc. A snook would crash some pilchards and 5 lures would be in transit to that fish before the hit was done.

I am used to NE FL where you can find spots with no one else around you for miles. Big Carlos was great but we were chased off the beach by park ranger as soon as the sun was starting to set.

Loved the grass flats on the causeway to Sanibel- had two nice snook follow my lure to my feet but never commit. At one point, I was wading WAAAYYY out to try to catch the never ending Spanish Mac attack- but casting a fly rod when you are up to your arm pits is not easy.

Only one snook was caught. Lots of other fish- surprised at how many Mangos are around. I had a huge Mango (5 plus pounds) swipe at a Mirrodine right at my feet but did not get the hooks.

No snook on the beaches that I saw after miles of walking, but they were just inside the passes where the river and ocean water mixed.

Def would go back, but would bring the boat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love going to sanibel. The little fly shop there is a pretty cool spot but the bait store down the road has a waaaay better stock of actual gear and flies. My family lives in Cape Coral so I try to fish sanibel every time we are down there. Got a few shots at some nice tarpon there in late July actually. I wanna get over there when the tarpon are up on the beaches. Next time you get down that way check out the east cape trail grass flat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts