Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Switching to aluminum from SS prop to better protect engine from hard rocks and other obstructions I might encounter. I like the Flo-Torq hub system for additional drive protection, so leaning towards Mercury or other props compatible with it. Am switching to 4 blade to hopefully improve steering response, get on plane quicker, and stay on plane at lower speed. Right now I start coming off plane once speed starts dropping much below 20 mph.

Boat is a 17.5 ft flats boat, probably around 2000 lbs with fully loaded, full tank, and two passengers. Current prop is Solas SS 13 by 17 pitch. The F115 engine at WOT currently get 35 mph at 5400 rpm.

Mercury's prop selector page says to consider a 4 blade Spitfire 13 by 17 but they also make a 13.4 by 15 version that I think could also be a good choice. I don't mind losing some top end speed if I get the other benefits I'm looking for.

Any suggestions on either prop or alternate props that might help meet my goals much appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody....? I must have picked the right few props. I Ching says to go with 13.4 by 15, so we'll see how it does.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,057 Posts
I hit a rock a few years ago and it destroyed everything. My motor had a severely bent prop shaft, Damaged lower seals and the power head was destroyed from a bent crank, bearings and the bearing materiel went into the cylinders. Thank god for insurance!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hit a rock a few years ago and it destroyed everything. My motor had a severely bent prop shaft, Damaged lower seals and the power head was destroyed from a bent crank, bearings and the bearing materiel went into the cylinders. Thank god for insurance!
Ouch, that must have hurt! I'd hate to go through that.

I put the 13.4 by 15 " prop on yesterday. Definitely improved steering responsiveness, slightly quicker to get on plane, and was able to stay on plane as low as about 18 mph, so definitely an improvement, may be able to improve that a bit by playing with trim/engine height. Lost a few mph top end. I'd still like to be able to stay on plane a little slower so may try the 13 by 17" prop or add a compression plate.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,057 Posts
I have a 4 blade Mercury Trophy 21p that's just waiting for a test day. I wonder if raising the motor will increase the top speed?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It might. I have a hydraulic JP but didn't have a chance yesterday to get engine height and trim completely dialed in for max speed. Based on forum comments, I'm going to call Powertech and see if they have some suggestions. A 4 blade that provides a little more stern lift might be what I need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts