Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the dimensions of the ECC gladesmen? I would really like to build a skiff similar in size to the Gman. I have searched online and cannot find any specs. Wanting to know a rough transom width/height, beam, and cockpit size. Would really appreciate the help

·
I Love microskiff.com!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Read the book "Gladesmen" and then make your own version like we did...
Always better to be fresh thinking.
~ Kevin
Not wanting a direct copy at all... I wanted a rough idea of the size of the ecc gladesmen because I would like to build a custom skiff similar in size. I saw one a few years back- here in SC, and I kick myself for not buying it.... Also, I have built a skiff that I designed, based off of glen's design. Unfortunately, It has been out in the weather and I am not sure I trust it structurally anymore. I will try and post a picture on this thread... I should have posted a build thread back when I built it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Not wanting a direct copy at all... I wanted a rough idea of the size of the ecc gladesmen because I would like to build a custom skiff similar in size. I saw one a few years back- here in SC, and I kick myself for not buying it.... Also, I have built a skiff that I designed, based off of glen's design. Unfortunately, It has been out in the weather and I am not sure I trust it structurally anymore. I will try and post a picture on this thread... I should have posted a build thread back when I built it.

What's the length and beam on this one ?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
616 Posts
Unfortunately, production builders are generally very unwilling to give out any information about their boats, even though it is easily obtained by measuring one. Most guys building their own either can't afford or want something different than a factory built boat, so it's not as if they're losing a sale. Heck, the Gladesmen isn't even made anymore. :rolleyes:

There's a guy in here that posted a refurb, I believe in the "bragging spot" section. There are some good photos of the bottom that show the actual running surface. IMO, it looks very similar to the bottom of a 14'x32" Jon boat. The entire bow section never touches the water unless there is a large wave.

I think if you want a 2-man skiff, I'd go with a 40" max bottom width, tapering to 34" or so at the transom. That should give you a reasonable balance of stability while keeping the poling/paddling ease.

I'm building one of these right now, but have decided to widen the transom to the full 48" width, which seems to be nearly identical specs to the Gen 2 HB Glades Skiff, as far as I can determine.

http://spirainternational.com/hp_kajo.php

·
I Love microskiff.com!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Gatorgrizz27 exactly! Haha I posted this hoping that someone who owns a gladesmen would be able to help me out... that's a pretty nice boat. Did the pictures of my previous build show? I tried to upload them

·
Registered
294 Posts
Unfortunately, production builders are generally very unwilling to give out any information about their boats, even though it is easily obtained by measuring one. Most guys building their own either can't afford or want something different than a factory built boat, so it's not as if they're losing a sale. Heck, the Gladesmen isn't even made anymore. :rolleyes:

There's a guy in here that posted a refurb, I believe in the "bragging spot" section. There are some good photos of the bottom that show the actual running surface. IMO, it looks very similar to the bottom of a 14'x32" Jon boat. The entire bow section never touches the water unless there is a large wave.

I think if you want a 2-man skiff, I'd go with a 40" max bottom width, tapering to 34" or so at the transom. That should give you a reasonable balance of stability while keeping the poling/paddling ease.

I'm building one of these right now, but have decided to widen the transom to the full 48" width, which seems to be nearly identical specs to the Gen 2 HB Glades Skiff, as far as I can determine.

We will build the Gladesmen if someone wants it but the Glide has taken over and we've built enough of the Gladesmens over the years to satisfy we feel the need

·
I Love microskiff.com!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We will build the Gladesmen if someone wants it but the Glide has taken over and we've built enough of the Gladesmens over the years to satisfy we feel the need

What would you charge to build a bare hull? No trailer or motor.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

The only reason the specs aren't available is because its no longer made. Advertising a discontinued boat only adds agravation for both parties. Theres more to it than basic length, width and deadrise measurements.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts