Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
working in my Banana River Skiff rebuild and I have the sole down and transom tabbed in. Per the original designer’s rec I left about a 2” gap on both sides between the foam core sole and the intersection of the bottom and sides in the old hull shell.

The plan is to lay a layer of woven roving over the foam core and then a layer of 6oz glass over the whole interior. But before I do, is there any issue with running chase tubes at the bottom of the sides or should I wait and run tubes at the top, just under the gunnels?

I’m going to have mostly open bulkheads and minimal electrical. Portable fuel tank under the front deck so the primary reason for the tubes would be the fuel line

·
I Love microskiff.com!
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Soooooo, no real issue with running a fuel line through a chase tube at the bottom of the side vs. the top, right?

I also think the tubes at the bottom will have the benefit of a convex radius to help direct water in the cockpit towards the middle and back to the small sump area built in.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Soooooo, no real issue with running a fuel line through a chase tube at the bottom of the side vs. the top, right?

I also think the tubes at the bottom will have the benefit of a convex radius to help direct water in the cockpit towards the middle and back to the small sump area built in.
My chase tube is running under the gunwale. Keeps it dryer but dont think it means a hill of beans

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
If you run wiring or fuel line through the gunnel - most won't have a full, complete channel there - instead they'll have "pass through" spots over bulkheads, horizontal rodholders, etc. That means your wiring, etc. will be resting on chafing spots - that will eventually cause some wear on stuff you don't want wear on... My solution, after finding some serious chafing was to use short sections of PVC to that slid down the wires to where the chafing was occurring to protect the wires in those chafing points... Should have done that from the start - but most of my "education" seems to always require a box of bandaids eventually...

By the way I've never had chafing as a problem in a standard, well designed chase tube under the deck....

B

·
0 Posts
If you run wiring or fuel line through the gunnel - most won't have a full, complete channel there - instead they'll have "pass through" spots over bulkheads, horizontal rodholders, etc. That means your wiring, etc. will be resting on chafing spots - that will eventually cause some wear on stuff you don't want wear on... My solution, after finding some serious chafing was to use short sections of PVC to that slid down the wires to where the chafing was occurring to protect the wires in those chafing points... Should have done that from the start - but most of my "education" seems to always require a box of bandaids eventually...

By the way I've never had chafing as a problem in a standard, well designed chase tube under the deck....
Man that chafing will stop the best of us!;)

·
Registered
955 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts