Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glasser has started taking orders on his new skiff. I have heard both great things and not flattering things about his business practices. Any one care to share any experiences good bad or indifferent.

The new skiff looks sharp and simple. It is 12' and the hull will start at approximately $2500. No numbers on it yet. Just curious on what y'all thought.

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,625 Posts
Any one care to share any experiences good bad or indifferent.
Glasser did an excellent job on refinishing a few spots on the bottom of my old super skiff where the gel coat had worn through. Matched the color perfectly, and did it on time.

The non-skid on a couple HB skiffs done by Glasser were the best non-skid surface I've ever seen on any boat period.

I've also heard Jonathan's side for one of the "bad business" stories posted on here. But based on how that rebuild was finished and how long it took showed me Jonathan wasn't the problem.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Glasser did an excellent job on refinishing a few spots on the bottom of my old super skiff where the gel coat had worn through. Matched the color perfectly, and did it on time.

The non-skid on a couple HB skiffs done by Glasser were the best non-skid surface I've ever seen on any boat period.

I've also heard Jonathan's side for one of the "bad business" stories posted on here. But based on how that rebuild was finished and how long it took showed me Jonathan wasn't the problem.
Mike,

You should try to do a restoration, while working two jobs, before you act all cool behind a keyboard. I can tell you it's not fun... especially when you already paid someone to do the work.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
750 Posts
I can't comment on Glasser's reputation. I can say though that refits rarely go as planned. It took my guy nearly a year (including a 3 month wait for a new Merc) to get around to finishing my son's Whaler, but I am very pleased with the end result. I will say that is very difficult to find someone who knows what they are doing with Awlgrip and other fit and finish details. Unless you have an open checkbook, you're pretty much at the whim of good quality yards on timing. Now I am starting on my Challenger with the same guy.

Anyway, I really like Glasser's little skiff. It's reminiscent of the HB Skate and the Venganza. I've never understood why those boats didn't sell, although as I recall the Skate went for about 15k, so that could be one answer.

When I figure I have about 8k in my son's 20 year-old Whaler, this would have been a more interesting option for maybe even less money. It's great for a either a starter skiff (a good way to get kids on the water) or a capable solo skiff, so hats off to Glazer for filling a void.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Jonathan tells me that the skiff in the pics probably weighs around 100lbs. They got 22 mph out of a 15 hp two smoke. I wouldn't really want anymore speed in that thing!
Not really in a position to trailer right now, so I'm looking for some vessel that I can toss on my roof racks that still is motorized. I was thinking the smallest gheenoe and a 9.9, but this might be an option... Not sure I could lift it by myself (Bulk not the weight), but even if I can't lift it outright, a folding kayak dolly and some sort of ramp system could help me get it onto the racks or the back of the truck.

It looks like it has a decent amount of freeboard, especially in the bow. I'd like to compare it to a 13 Gheenoe, along with the beam. I will be watching this thread very closely....

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Small trailers are cheap. By the time you spent money and effort rigging something up to get it onto the roof of a car, you could buy a trailer. You could tow this thing with a Nissan Sentra if you wanted to.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts