Glass Magic Nomad

Discussion in 'Blast From the Past' started by CCnanoskiff, Nov 8, 2017.

1. CCnanoskiff

CCnanoskiff Active Member

So I am I proud owner of a 1960 Glass Magic Nomad and I have been doin a TON of research trying to figure out everything about my boat as I can. But I figured maybe there are other like me or possibly people that can add information to this. So here is my spill.

Glass Magic was called Marine Plastics Inc. when formed circa 1955 by Bill Raschke. He was another employee of Lone Star Boats that jumped ship to start a competing boat building firm (Bob Hammond left Lone Star in 1956 to help start Standard Glass Products "Glastron" and R.C. McDonnell departed and formed Texas Boat Mfg. Co. "Texas Maid" about 1957 and Charlie McGill left and helped start Jayhawk in Parsons, KS circa 1958). Apparntly Lone Star Boats was ripe breeding ground for other boat firms!

The name Marine Plastics, Inc. was changed sometime after 1957 to Glass Magic Boats, Inc. Bill Raschke left Glass Magic about 1959 and established Swank Craft Boats at Three Rivers, TX. It appears as if this latter firm became TemCraft Boats about 1960. Rascke died 17 May 1984 in Nueces County, TX.

The WesCraft Boat firm's 1962 "Sport Aero" and "Fishn Aero" sure look like the 1961 Glass Magic "Nomad." William Raschke of Glass Magic was granted US patent #187,167 in 1960 for a boat. It is the Nomad model by Glass Magic. A copy of this patent was in WesCraft's archive.

So from what I’ve been able to find is that WesCraft took over the molds after Glass Magic went out of busniess. If y’all have any more to add please do. Disclaimer this information is not my own it was taken from smarter people then myself over at FiberGlassics.

2. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

Can we see some photos of your boat?

CCnanoskiff likes this.

3. LowHydrogen

LowHydrogen Fly-By-Night

Interesting, looks like a sneak boat on steroids!

Are you planning any changes or going to use it as it is?

CCnanoskiff likes this.
  4. CCnanoskiff

CCnanoskiff Active Member

I might add a GPS unit but that’s about all, this thing is crazy steady and fast. I’m just doin my best to be able to keep it right now, got into some financial burdens. But it’s really good at being able to follow kayakers. I used to kayak and so I will still go fishing with all my buddy’s but I’m the safey back up. Can still get where they go but a boat haha

5. LowHydrogen

LowHydrogen Fly-By-Night

Nice! Well make sure you take some pictures of your new ride on the water. An any fish, people on this board like pictures of boats, flies, fish, and girls. Not necessarily in that order.

Start a thread in the bragging spot or general discussion section, there's a lot more traffic there and you may get more back story on your boat.

Tight Lines

CCnanoskiff likes this.
  6. 'Nano-Skiff'

'Nano-Skiff' It's not the size of the boat....

Very nice boat. I hope you are able to keep it.

7. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

8. 'Nano-Skiff'

'Nano-Skiff' It's not the size of the boat....

My BIL would buy it if the price is right. We would like to have 3 of them in the family. I shot you a PM if you are still around.