Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my Conchfish build moves along I find myself torn about what to do with my gladesman. It's one of the coolest little boats I've ever ran and I've run many I'm just afraid after I sell it I'll be kicking myself for it, but keeping up with 3 boats may be a major pain. So I am looking for some feedback on anyone who regrets selling theirs first world country problems.

·
Banned
1,439 Posts
Running 3 now. None of them get the care or use they should. All are now efi , that’s the only saving grace , they handle sitting better than carbed engines. Heard boats are like keeping bees , I like honey , I love salt ! Always easier to buy a boat than sell one. W new boat prices where they are , Ive never seen a stronger mkt for used boats Resale values I’ve checked on are holding up. Your skiff may be appreciating. She could always be a “ passer down”. Got any youngins w salt in their veins That’s how I started , reclaimed family ‘67 17’ glass master tri hull from 3rd owner. Free. Pop was pissed when I pulled it down driveway . He’d gotten rid of it years earlier. boarded every time we put it on the water, always legal. Just ratty , but I had my OWN boat by god ! Kept it a couple years blew out transom gimbal bearing. Instant duck blind !
Good luck. I don’t regret keeping anything....

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,534 Posts
I have three boats, but each is for a different purpose. Poling skiff, bay boat, and center console. The bay boat is used the least as the poling skiff gets shallower and the center console can take rougher seas. Still, the bay boat will pole in 8" and works when I have more than one to fish the back water. I can't sell it because it's irreplaceable, no one makes anything like it now. I wouldn't want two poling skiffs but I think I'd keep the Gladesmen until sure the other will do what you want.

Reactions: Fritz and CPurvis
G

·
Sleeve the transoms with a stainless tube or pot them with thickened epoxy. This way you can use pins and clamps to keep the motor on in the event the clamps loosen. Now you can swap that 25 back and fourth between the two and only have the one motor to maintain between them! As far as the boat goes, just keep it cleaned, waxed, and covered and it will be there forever! Hope that all made sense...

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sleeve the transoms with a stainless tube or pot them with thickened epoxy. This way you can use pins and clamps to keep the motor on in the event the clamps loosen. Now you can swap that 25 back and fourth between the two and only have the one motor to maintain between them! As far as the boat goes, just keep it cleaned, waxed, and covered and it will be there forever! Hope that all made sense...
I'm just going to put my backup 25 on it. The one on it now will go on the Conchfish because it has power trim and tilt but that made sense what you explained about the motor swapping. I could put the 15 back on it that it came with but it's a dog with the 15.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have three boats, but each is for a different purpose. Poling skiff, bay boat, and center console. The bay boat is used the least as the poling skiff gets shallower and the center console can take rougher seas. Still, the bay boat will pole in 8" and works when I have more than one to fish the back water. I can't sell it because it's irreplaceable, no one makes anything like it now. I wouldn't want two poling skiffs but I think I'd keep the Gladesmen until sure the other will do what you want.
This^^^^ I would agree to keep it at least until you know you the conchfish is the Skiff for you. I have my 1436 jon boat that I used prior to owning a glass skiff that for some reason I just can't let go.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,534 Posts
Well ,when I had 2 boats, I felt the guilt when I left one sitting......they are the water family
I've told two of my buddies, who have boats, that if they need the bay boat for something theirs won't handle to get it and use it. I won't be using it much and it doesn't need to sit. One of them has an Evo-X and occasionally has family that wants to fish so if he has two or three he'll use the bay boat.

·
Administrator
6,068 Posts
As my Conchfish build moves along I find myself torn about what to do with my gladesman. It's one of the coolest little boats I've ever ran and I've run many I'm just afraid after I sell it I'll be kicking myself for it, but keeping up with 3 boats may be a major pain. So I am looking for some feedback on anyone who regrets selling theirs first world country problems.[/QUOTE
ill hold on to it for you... thank me later.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Now that I gotta see......lol

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,534 Posts
Now that I gotta see......lol
It's 22' x 8', tunnel hull, rolled edge with a hull weight of 1400#. I've measured it in 8" on a hard sand bottom. The boat is no longer made in rolled edge and with the liner it weighs 600# more and drafts 13". That's why I can't replace it

·
Panhandler
3,452 Posts
The Conchfish would make four boats, right BC? Flip jon, ActionCraft, Gladesman and the Conchfish?

Is the Gladesman going to have totally unique performance from the CF? Will it get any skinnier than the jon and repel oyster scratches? How much will insurance and upkeep run per year?

Wish I could fish more than I do with one skiff and I'm in the fishing industry. But if you can pull it off and use all four regularly enough, more power to you. Boats sitting around idle tend to develop unexpected issues.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Conchfish would make four boats, right BC? Flip jon, ActionCraft, Gladesman and the Conchfish?

Is the Gladesman going to have totally unique performance from the CF? Will it get any skinnier than the jon and repel oyster scratches? How much will insurance and upkeep run per year?

Wish I could fish more than I do with one skiff and I'm in the fishing industry. But if you can pull it off and use all four regularly enough, more power to you. Boats sitting around idle tend to develop unexpected issues.
Correct it will actually be 4 boats even though the John boat is sitting right now needs a new transom wood rot and a new trailer the gladesman can access tight mangrove tunnels in the glades that the other 3 can't that's one of the reasons I was thinking of keeping her for a while ugh decisions.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you guys talked me into keeping it for now as my registration is good till next May.I will keep it for the negative winter tides and go from there. If it was up to me I would sell the action craft but that's the wife's boat and I ain't gonna go there gotta sleep next to her every night.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I think you guys talked me into keeping it for now as my registration is good till next May.I will keep it for the negative winter tides and go from there. If it was up to me I would sell the action craft but that's the wife's boat and I ain't gonna go there gotta sleep next to her every night.
There's always the couch....lol:p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.