Gladeskiff with jackplate prop question???

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by get_er_done, Nov 17, 2008.

1. get_er_done

get_er_done Well-Known Member

Guys a few months back I got with Tom C and got one of his cool lenco jackplates. tom gordon installed it and the prop blew out and the boat would barely get up on a plane. Per Tom C's suggestion I took the boat to him and he reinstalled the jackplate which was obviously originally installed to high.

This is my issue, the motor still blows out at its lowest setting and once i hit some high RPM's the prop catches and off we go. The hole shot has some blow out. It hasn't been a big issue and under a normal load we can get up in short order with some prop blow out. However once I start raising the plate the motor continually gets worse with respect to blowing out. I can still remain on a plane but the motor has to be somewhat pinned 5,000RPM’s and I start losing speed.

We have a new 4-blade power tech prop, SRA411PM25. Basically a 4-blade11” pitch.

I originally installed this to duck hunt with the skiff, but basically the plate is providing very little advantage at this point. If I attempt to raise the plate and it starts blowing out and then I pic up some minor marsh grass the boat basically comes off a plane. What can I do to solve this? Get a different prop?

Hopefully one of Microskiff doctors can help.

Here are some pics. The first one is the plate all the way down and then the other two are with the plate all the way up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

first thing u need to do is check your pin setting and try if u can go lower than your current pin setting.

u need a 4 blade powertech S.S propeller with CUPPING that makes grab the water awhole better and help you with holeshot too.

u need a bob's cativation plate from bob's machine shop that get rid of blowout from the holeshit.

I have a similar set up with Tom-C jackplate and those prop wiht cupping and bob's cavation plate solved the problem and run skinner with raise the motor up while running.

3. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Welcome!

I moved this topic into our new Prop Shop Section. Seamed the right place for it. I'm sure Capt Ron will chime in. He had you same exact boat and motor. Plus has propped several JP Skiffs including a Devilray that would blow out violently.

Cheers!
    Capt. Jan

4. get_er_done

the stabalization plate from Bob's says for use with 75hp or more. where does one find one for a 25hp?

my concern is also that we will catch more weeds with the plate. is this the case? thanks for the help.

5. Flyline

this is Capt'nRon gladeskiff with 25hp merc with Bob's cativation plate and I called the bob's machine shop for my 25hp yamaha 2-stroke and they make one and shipped for you.

[​IMG]

6. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

who did you order your prop from?  if you can, tell them or a prop shop what is happening and that you need extra cupping.  this solved my problems when i first got my prop and can now run an entire marsh with barely catching any hydrilla.  lily pads will stop me in my tracks though. i would try to stay away from the cav. plate thing, it will catch weeds

7. Flyline

I do business with powertech props and Marcus is good guy to deal with propellers for what u need.

Www.ptprop.com

But,

Www.theskiffshop.com, CaptnRon is the best to dealt with propellers and microskiffs. If u tell him, what boat and motor u have then He knows what propeller u need.

I had a LT25 with 25hp yamaha 2-stroke and hydraulic jackplate. My propeller for yamaha 25hp 2-stroke are Powertech 4 blade polished prop 10'' diameter by 10'' pitch without cupping.

Holeshot is really good then I raised my motor up with jackplate to run skinny then my propeller begin to blowout badly and begin to lose power then slowed down.

I order another propeller, a powertech 4 blade polished 10" x 10" pitch with DOUBLE CUPPED prop.

My results with cupped 4 blade solved my problem when I jacked sooo high to run very skinny water and cupped still catch water and air at the same time....NO BLOWOUTS! Going 22 mph, the motor raised 9 inches above the transom and my half of propeller is above the water line when running wideopen.

8. get_er_done

I ordered the prop directly from powertech. I would not like to add the cavitation plate unless I absolutely have to. I fish a lot of no motor zones where I rip off the motor so having this plate will add some difficulty of storing once pulled and might cause extra pressure on the plate just laying the motor on the deck.

Basically the prop blows out and then it catches. I believe either Tom mounted the plate to high (unlikely) or I need more cup in the prop (most likely). When duck hunting I tend to inadvertently hit quite a few lilly pads and that is what is completely stopping me dead in the water however so is everythign else at this point, turtle grass, hydrilla, manatees etc.

Can you easily add cup to the prop?

What does Capt. Ron think?

Thanks for the help guys! Collin

9. aaronshore

aaronshore Well-Known Member

The old Capt. is under the weather right now and I am sure he will chime in when he is able.

10. get_er_done

spoke to Ron he is indeed on his death bed. The guy knows more about props for my boat then anyone I have ever spoken to.

First is tiny tach second is add sum cup! Thanks Ron

11. Flyline

Finally, u waked him up from his own death bed......lol.

12. HighSide25

p.s. on my origanal post, i just added more cup to the already cupped 4 blade. took it out to the lake and can now run over lily pads, duckweed, hydrilla, pretty much any vegetarian

13. Where are you located?

I am one of rons customers, I got an ambush. I have a couple different 4 blade props at the house. Even some with the Ron Cupping. PM me and maybe I could meet up with you and let you try them out. May save you a trip to Ron's test location.

That is if Ron approves. ;)

14. captnron

captnron Guest

Of course I approve. ;D ;D

His issue is that he bought a "stock" prop direct from PT a quite while back and now needs the same cupping you have. ;) Trying to save him having to purchase a another new one. :-/

He may be ahead to sell his to someone running a heavy Gheenoe like a DHC , a BW "13 classic", a Jon boat or any other larger boat with a 25 Merc 2 smoke that can use a 10 x 11 4 blade w/ std cup. ;)

Just like with you, he doesn't have to come to me. I can ship him the prop I think will work and exchange if necessary. ;) Coming to my location will only expedite this process and allows me one on one to make sure we have accomplished your needs. ;) .

TSS/CR

15. Just trying to save you guys the exchange process. I got a 11p 4 blade with your cup, and I think I have a 12p also.

16. get_er_done

i am located in miami and duck hunting season starts this Saturday. I just dropped off the prop at a local shop told him what I was looking to do and to add more cup. Hopefully this strategy works out fine as I don't have the time to drive north to meet with anyone nor do I want to buy a new prop today. I guess if these fellas fix the prop I am good if not well then I will probably have to buy another one...........

if anyone lived closer I would meet them but it just doesn't seem to be the case.......

Ron email me regarding that tiny tach.

Thanks guys

17. HighSide25

where do you duck hunt in miami?

18. get_er_done

off 8th street or holiday park....all part of a large everglades WMA. also taken road trips to the Merrit Island area. I also spend alot of time at Storm Water Treatment areas.

19. HighSide25

are you part of the "8th street gang"?
    how did you do for permits on MINR and the STAs?

20. islander1225

islander1225 Well-Known Member

i def reccomend the bob's cavitation plate, it does wonders, i have a tsg electric jp on my gheenoe and with that and the plate i can run with the jp all the way up with hardly any blow out, The only thing i am wating on is the stainless 4 blade prop with cupping i am running the stock 3 blade aluminum right now and i can get through 6 in of water on plane without hitting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alex