Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm bringing a boat and buddy from Texas to Everglades City for 2 days then Islamorada for 3 days towards the end of October. Any tips or suggestions y'all have would be more than welcome. If the wind isn't cranking, we're going to be throwing flies, but we'll have back-up spinning gear.

Tentative plan for EC is to go North one day and South into the park the other day.

We'll play Islamorada by ear based on the weather.

Edit: Boat will be a 19 ft panga. 10-12" draft. Need about 2 ft to run. Not afraid of crossing some choppier water if I need to.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Have fun!! Dont forget to get your Park Entry Pass.. look it up online, they're requiring all boaters within the park to have their entry card.. The Rangers are enforcing it...and you'll need that "ENP Boaters Safety Card" to navigate your boat in the park. It's an easy online quiz.. two items they'll ask you for if/when you do get stopped!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Have fun!! Dont forget to get your Park Entry Pass.. look it up online, they're requiring all boaters within the park to have their entry card.. The Rangers are enforcing it...and you'll need that "ENP Boaters Safety Card" to navigate your boat in the park. It's an easy online quiz.. two items they'll ask you for if/when you do get stopped!
Can you get the park entry pass at the ranger station when you go to reserve camping sites?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reminders on the passes. Also going to need to knock out a boaters safety class. I'm grandfathered in TX but not for Florida. Luckily the TX class is free online and Florida has reciprocity.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks, did not know about this and I was able to do I think tonight, a week before I headed down. Appreciate it!

TR

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had a great trip! Was a little intimated about running the upper glades but my GPS had the wilderness waterway pre-marked and that made things easy. Caught lots of little snook and one nice one. No luck on Tarpon.

Fishing in the keys was tough (only mangrove snappers and small cuda on the fly) but still had a blast. It was flat enough one morning to get offshore and we caught some spanish mackeral that became ceviche for the sandbar and dinner out one night.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts