Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, first time posting in this forum and I'm looking forward to some good discussion. I have recently acquired a 2001 Gheenoe Lowsider 15'4 with a damaged transom. Looking for tips on transom replacement as far as suggested materials and method of repair.

I have never repaired a transom replacement but I am fairly handy and have worked as a carpenter/ window installer for several years, so I am going to attempt to fix myself.

I have currently removed all of the plywood, which goes down about half way down the transom and have grinded out a clean trapazoid shaped area from gunnel to gunnel. I plan on leaving the bottom 8" of fiberglass of the transom on intact as it wasn't compromised and gives me something rigid to "tie into". That's where I'm at currently.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

-RG

·
Registered
223 Posts
Use some type of composite so you don't have to worry about it again. Coosa, aquaplas, miura is one I just saw on internet that looks like it might be good idk if it will hold up though. I'm no expert but that's what I'd do.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I’m not saying this forum isn’t a wealth of knowledge, because these guys have helped me have the guts to repair my own skiff. But gheenoeholics on FB is a great supplement to feedback for your transom replacement because many of the members have had to replace their transom as well. If I remember correctly, most of them like coosa, but it’s been awhile since I’ve had one. Good luck

On a side note, as a newbie to fiberglass repair, once you educate yourself and watch a hundred hours of YouTube, it really is easier than you think to do it yourself

1 - 4 of 4 Posts