Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first ever Boat/canoe and motor. So I bought this Gheenoe in Dec, $800 w/Trailer, and was running it on Paddle & trolling motor power till Duck season was over in Jan. It was a lot of work, solo paddling 1 mile upstream after trolling motor battery died out. Many months of research and shopping for a used motor for my Gheenoe, It is rated for 10hp and below. I was looking for a 2 stroke, because I could have got a 9.9hp and it not weight much, but a 9.9-4 stroke weighs over 100#. That would have put me at about 330# in the back, right at 1/2 of the canoes rated weight. So no luck on finding one so I ended up going with a 2009 Honda 5HP-4 stroke, weighs in at about 61#. Had some problems buying a a used motor: Never serviced, the guy ran it before I looked at it and ran it to long with impeller not working causing the pump housing seals to melt. So my quick, boat-shop once-over/tune up ended up costing $375 plus the $700 i paid for the motor.
The wife and I took it out Tuesday, on Lake James (its a fair sized lake),fished some, explored some "boat-in only campsites". It got a lil to warm to be out. I was a little nervous about how the boat would respond with the motor, so I babied it at first, after tooling around a little bit I was more confident and took it up to 9MPH, full throttle, that's all this motor had. No sharp turns. Its a low side Gheenoe so only about 6-8" out of the water in the center. only put about 1.5 hrs on the motor that day. Its a lot better than paddling.
I have a lot of work to do before duck season. Running electrical, lights, pump, Painting inside and out. New seats and mounts. I'm mainly gonna use it for small rivers, coves, beaver ponds.
20181221_145049.jpg
Just bought.
1556612205328.jpg 1548160920378.jpg
First hunting trip.
20190703_155853.jpg
Loaded up for first family lake trip to water access only Boathouse.(Wife, Dog, stuff)
Trolling motor, Paddle
1559315394206.jpg
Motor, before service/repairs
20190716_085017.jpg 20190716_115055.jpg 20190716_085023.jpg
Lake James on Tuesday. Motor running!!!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
686 Posts
The dollars to fun ratio on a gheenoe is almost impossible to beat. My first powerboat was a 15'4 with stick steer and a 9.9 and as long as I kept it out of big water and big boat type areas it was a fun rig. After I had it I bought a "Classic" with a 30 horse Evinrude and put more miles in the gulf on that thing than anybody ought to have with a setup that cost a thousand bucks. Lots of fish ended up on the deck too. Congrats on the new ride.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
That little Honda is a great little motor !
I will PM you a little trick that will save you $$$ :)

There are some nice little foils that will help your setup
you should be able to get 12 mph easily

The boat is a very good hull for what you are doing with it
as you get used to it you will be making faster turns ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts