Gheenoe, Small engine, and Skinny water

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by Dillusion, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

I just got a Gheenoe NMZ about 3 weeks ago. Came with a 15Hp Mercury 2-stroke (that I've started a few threads on already!) with a three-blade aluminum prop.

I BELIEVE the prop is a 3-blade 9x9 but I'm not sure, it's kind of beat up.

With a full 6 gallons of gas, two people, trim tabs, a bobs jack plate,  and a trolling motor battery up front I can get on plane in 15-20 inches of water no problem within about a few seconds.

My top speed is also pretty good too, I'm assuming over 20MPH fully loaded with the setup described above plus gear. I used the yamaha calculator and it said I should be at 23mph with the setup above.

Question is; can I get any more out of the setup? Another factor is the skinny water, I'm assuming more initial power out of the hole is better for skinny water to get up on plane in a shorter amount of time than adding 2-3MPH on the top end while cruising...

2. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Low 20's seems to be the norm with a 15 hp and a loaded rig. Your probably splitting hairs to get much more out of it. If it doesnt have a manual jackplate then you might be able to put one on, bobs narrow, and tune it in a tad more. 9-10 pitch 3 blade is the ideal prop for you though...

3. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

It does have a bobs manual jack plate on it. It's sitting in a ideal spot right now, I believe..

4. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

If you get a prop with a little cupping in it you will be able to go a bit higher. My guess is that if its set up correctly you should be able to easliy run in about 12". Thats a 9" diameter prop plus 3" of displacement.

To launch shallow I would recommend learning how to spin in a tight circle and up onto plane. Push the tiller hard to the left and lean on the right side. With the boat on an angle power up you can launch a lot skinnier.

5. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

Once I am on plane I can get really skinny as it is. Can you explain what cupping is or what model specs I should be looking for?

6. Tommysmicroskiff

Tommysmicroskiff I Love microskiff.com!

Cupping : as you are looking at the prop Nut facing you the leading edges are bent toward you

you can also install a Bob's cav plate or permatrim to hold water around the prop