Gheenoe Poling Platform

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by CISbrown, Mar 24, 2011.

1. CISbrown

CISbrown Got Phish?

Has anyone every attempted to put a poling platform on a narrow transom such as the one below?

2. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Check out http://strongarmproducts.com/

3. CISbrown

CISbrown Got Phish?

What about one that mounts above the engine? Or, stands higher?

4. CISbrown

CISbrown Got Phish?

So far we can incorporate a Strongarm Casting Platform which looks like the picture below. But what I am interested in seeing is whether or not anyone has ever attempted to make a casting/poling platform that mounts around the outboard engine.

If it has been done before how steady is it?
    Can it mange the weight when stood on?
    Does it have enough room for the engine to steer properly?

Just curious!

Michael

5. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

I haven't seen one on a 15'4" Highsider. I think the reason is stability. The stern is too narrow to support standing over the motor. Slightly forward of the motor will probably be best.

If you need to test it try sitting on your motor cowling and see how stable your boat feels.

6. CISbrown

CISbrown Got Phish?

Tom

Good advice! This is purely out of curiosity. Im sure its been attempted, but I would like to hear the stories, dont-do's, and successes (if any).

But I am definitely going to try and sit on the cowling (without falling in) to see what happens.

Thanks again and if anyone wants to share please do.

Michael

7. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

i agree with tom, sit on the cowling and see what happens, my guess is that unless you have some damn good balance your gonna get wet ;D ;)